BTX, when will it become mainstream

Footer4321

Gawd
Has anyone heard any new stuff on when we might actually see BTX become mainstream... i was told late 2005 last year... and well we are almost there and all i have found is a few BTX power supplies (the 24 pin variety) and a few micro BTX cases.... does anyone know when the big mobo manufactures plan to roll out BTX motherboards?

I hope it never becomes mainstream. Just because all Intel's chips are space heaters doesn't mean everyone should be forced to change their case IMO.

Dell just started shipping BTX systems. Most case manufacturers don't want to support BTX so they are sitting on the fence waiting to see if anyone else jumps on the Intel bandwagon. But now that allmighty Dell did it I'm sure more will follow.

My personal opinion is that Intel can shove BTX up their ass and they should get back to designing chips with realistic thermals. If AMD can do it Intel should be able to do it. They do have a bottomless pit of money for R&D afterall.

I've been setting up some of the new Dells, I like the new design, I think it's great for case cooling, regardless of opions on Intel. Overall it leads to a cooler computer which is fine by me.

S1nF1xx said:
My personal opinion is that Intel can shove BTX up their ass and they should get back to designing chips with realistic thermals. If AMD can do it Intel should be able to do it. They do have a bottomless pit of money for R&D afterall.
In case you missed it, the Netburst (P4) architecture was cancelled not too long ago when Intel's engineers finally managed to convince those in charge that increasing clockspeeds was no longer realistic at speeds close to 4 GHz.

Hence Intel exhumed the P3-core and tweaked it into the Pentium M. Next year the P4 will breath its last breaths and everybody will live happily ever after :)

As far as BTX goes, I've said from the beginning that we're seeing much the same thing as with WTX. In order for a new formfactor to succeed, it has to offer more than buzzwords alone. BTX in many ways throws us right back to the AT formfactor and limits the possibilities for mainboard designers. Ever wondered where the second CPU in a dual-CPU configuration goes with BTX, for example?

Elledan said:
In case you missed it, the Netburst (P4) architecture was cancelled not too long ago when Intel's engineers finally managed to convince those in charge that increasing clockspeeds was no longer realistic at speeds close to 4 GHz.

Hence Intel exhumed the P3-core and tweaked it into the Pentium M. Next year the P4 will breath its last breaths and everybody will live happily ever after :)

Yep I sure did miss it. :) I don't follow Intel.

IMO it's pretty funny that they introduced a new formfactor for a poorly designed chip and then ended up scrapping it. Doh' :eek:

I don't want to start a flame war so I'll stop there.

They key part of that was IMO anyway. ;)

I personally dont want it because i would have to use a new case... and i love my old antec ; :D

Back