Buddy has a Virius

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey dudes this is a copy and paste for ya hes a car guy so not very smart this is his prblem

"Somehow on Friday night my desktop computer got infected with a virus called Antivirus XP 2008. It looks just like a Microsoft update and tells you it need to install an update to the Microsoft Antivirus software.

Well, once it get's in the door, it shuts off any antivirus software and corrupts the operating system.

I have tried a number of virus detection software but I'm still having some issues. Anytime I try to access any other virus protection software, it redirects you to another internet site.

My question is, have any of you had to deal with this nasty critter and if so, how do you kill it?

My son thinks we are at the point of reloading the XP operating system to get the thing cleaned out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, I'm glad I bought the laptop for travel so at least I can still work and access the net."

What can I do I did a search on google for the spyware and it came back with some promising stuff on the yahoo advice but its yahoo so I figure id ask you dudes first thanks alot.

Tell him to boot into safe mode, then use system restore and restore to a point previous to Friday. Maybe a week before.

Just had this at a client not too long ago. It came through e-mail. Someone at my client was stupid enough to open an e-mail from some random name with "Air Force One Crashes in Iraq" in the subject line. You may want to check with your buddy to see if he opened any mail of a similar nature. If so, you may want to educate him on opening mail with silly subject lines like that.

First, run Webroot SpySweeper & it will get rid of most of the Antivirus XP 2008 crap. It will get the system stable enough for the next step, which is to install ESET NOD32. NOD32 will take care of the rest.

3.0 is a little heftier but it's gotten better, 2.7 is as small of a footprint just as everyone claims.

QFT. 3.0 is just a smidge bulkier than 2.7, but not enough to get upset about. NOD32 is certainly less taxing on system resources. There is no doubt about it. You don't see the speed difference on new systems, but the difference is noticable on older PC's. I also like that it is finding stuff that the Symantec Corporate editions are missing.

I'm moving all of my clients away from the Symantec corporate bloatware. Symentec Endpoint Corporate v. 11 is absolute junk. It is a steaming pile of donkey vomit. Easily the worst product that company has released in my 18 years of LAN/WAN admin & consulting services.

Setting up a network deployment for NOD32 is more complicated than the Symantec software, but the customization options for NOD32 make it a much more attractive product from an administration standpoint. Once you build a deployment package with all of the options you want, rollong out to the workstations is a snap & can be done from the admin console on the server.

The base pricing for NOD32 is extremely competitive. I do a lot of Government work, and ESET offers some outstanding price breaks for Government agencies which makes it even more attractive.

he has a virus?! get him to a doctor!!!!!! lol

no, but seriously.... nod32 is great.

It has saved me multiple times.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/ (a good place to read about the capabilities of different antivirus programs)

Note that you want a program that not only finds a KNOWN virus, but UNknown as well!!

Nod32 is good at both.

My question is, have any of you had to deal with this nasty critter and if so, how do you kill it?.

Many times....these Vundu/ZLob variants are spreading like wildfire.

Use these tools...
CCleaner first
SuperAntispyware...in depth scan
MalwareBytes (the free one)
SDFix.exe

Done.

Nod32 is the best. What I like is that once installed, you can almost forget about it.No interaction necessary.I am going to install it on my new computer when liscense is renewed in November

Your buddy got a Virius. Is that that new satellite radio service? :p

Seriously, I vote for Malware Bytes. My buddy had the same malware as the OP. This was the only program that removed.

If you can't get any removal programs to get rid of it, and the system restore fails, often if you disable system restore completely it takes care of it, as a lot of these things hide in the system restore files.

Webroot SpySweeper, SmitFraudFix, and NSS would be the 1st 3 I would run

I've read on quite a few forums than Malware Bytes can remove this XP AntiVirus 2008. If it was me I would download the Nod 32 trial and scan, then use SpyBot S&D and then scan with Malware Bytes I would also run CCleaner Lite too.

QFT. 3.0 is just a smidge bulkier than 2.7, but not enough to get upset about. NOD32 is certainly less taxing on system resources. There is no doubt about it. You don't see the speed difference on new systems, but the difference is noticable on older PC's. I also like that it is finding stuff that the Symantec Corporate editions are missing.

I'm moving all of my clients away from the Symantec corporate bloatware. Symentec Endpoint Corporate v. 11 is absolute junk. It is a steaming pile of donkey vomit. Easily the worst product that company has released in my 18 years of LAN/WAN admin & consulting services.

Setting up a network deployment for NOD32 is more complicated than the Symantec software, but the customization options for NOD32 make it a much more attractive product from an administration standpoint. Once you build a deployment package with all of the options you want, rollong out to the workstations is a snap & can be done from the admin console on the server.

The base pricing for NOD32 is extremely competitive. I do a lot of Government work, and ESET offers some outstanding price breaks for Government agencies which makes it even more attractive.

I have to agree. I quit using Norton in win 3.1. he made to many os system file changes at that time and when one uninstalled the bugger he'd forget to put back the original file that he swapped with and bork the machine. Other clients would install something of Norton and their email would quit working because Mr Norton thought that the pop email account should be directed somewhere else. A lot of people swear by Mr Norton, I for one can't be bothered with his products,I wont take any chances. After all these years I've never needed him on my machine. He left a bad taste in my mouth.
By the way I second it, NOD32 is a fine product, has served me well.

Back