Budget 6x Eyefinity with 6 Dell 2209WA Displays

Elipsn

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, I thought I'd start a new thread to discuss what I consider to be perhaps the holygrail of budget display setups

Today I was able to find a dell rep that would sell me the 2209WA eIPS Display for $212 plus tax..

So, I ordered three of them. The thing is, I've been watching Kyle's review of Eyefinity, and - I'm wondering, should I go ahead and order 3 more displays for a total of 6?

Seems to me that for around $1200-$1300 bucks, appox the cost of most of the nice 30" panels, I can get a 6x IPS panel Eyefinity setup. That is just flat out sick for the money.

The downer being I would need two display port to dvi converters, which will run around $200 for both......

I'm trying to figure out though, will I also need 2 ATI 5870's to run 6 displays? Its just crazy to imagine that setup for such a cheap price.....

I'm trying to figure out though, will I also need 2 ATI 5870's to run 6 displays? Its just crazy to imagine that setup for such a cheap price.....

Yes, you will need two of the ATI 5XXX series that support Eyefinity (I forget what other models in that series support it)

No, currently eyefinity is not supported in crossfire, which means you can get a max of 3 monitors until the 6 monitor version of the 58xx comes out or xfire is supported, and more then 3 displays are supported on a crossfire setup

The problem with an Eyefinity setup with 2209WAs is that there's a lack of proper DisplayPort inputs, requiring you to order expensive active DVI-to-DisplayPort adapters.

There's one major caveat, well two.
1. As previously posted CF eyefinity is not supported.
2. All of the pictures of the single card 6 display eyefinity shows that it uses all displayport connections.

Didn't know that. I guess Eyefinity right now is not so cheap, yet.

Not quite...you can use two of the 5870's onboard DVI ports and only have to get one DVI-to-DisplayPort active adapter for a third monitor and have a triple-screen setup. So, in effect, just add on another $100 to the expense of a triple-screen 2209WA Eyefinity setup and that should be it.

I'd stick with 3 screens for now.

To properly do 6 monitors, you need the 6 displayport version of the 5000 series cards which is not out yet.

In addition you will need a monitor arm to support the 6 monitors. A monitor arm for 6 displays could cost as much as 1k, which is nearly the price of the monitors themselves.

I'd stick with 3 screens for now.

To properly do 6 monitors, you need the 6 displayport version of the 5000 series cards which is not out yet.

In addition you will need a monitor arm to support the 6 monitors. A monitor arm for 6 displays could cost as much as 1k, which is nearly the price of the monitors themselves.

At the price of the 6 panel monitor arms...you may as well just get three better displays over six anyhow.

So, I ordered three of them. The thing is, I've been watching Kyle's review of Eyefinity, and - I'm wondering, should I go ahead and order 3 more displays for a total of 6?

Why? 6 is pointless IMO, because you have bezels right in the center of the action. 3 is the ideal way to go.

6 thin bezel Samsung 23" PVA panels with telescopic carrier costing between $2250-2500towards Xmas.

I don't know how anyone could play with 6 monitors. The horizontal bezzel will overlap the crosshair in all FPS, so not sure how you could aim properly, especially if you play sniper role.
RTS or MMO's would be awesome tho I think

Actually guys, I don't game - much anyways.

Haha, GASP! I know, I know, but I've really grown out of video games - just not my thing anymore.

The 6x Display, for me, would be for shits and giggles, as well as increased productivity......and, it looks badass.

So yeah, not worried about crosshairs

Actually with the "SixEdition" you'll need 4 active display port to DVI converters... Two could be the passive DP to DVI converter..

Actually with the "SixEdition" you'll need 4 active display port to DVI converters... Two could be the passive DP to DVI converter..

Without knowing how the "SixEdition" is setup, that isn't true. Only a DP+ connection will work with the passive DP to DVI converter.

The samsung 6 display thing is neat - but cmon, the chances of it being a good solid 22" IPS panel are slim - it will be pva, with all the associated problems :( Morover, "a price close to 2 dell 30" displays" ...thats gonna be like $2200 - I could do 6 Dell 2209WA's for around $1400

Last edited:
Without knowing how the "SixEdition" is setup, that isn't true. Only a DP+ connection will work with the passive DP to DVI converter.
It was confirmed by a products manager of ATI/AMD ..... "SixEdition" (as of now/planed/being developed) will only have 2 DP+ (mini-DPs), The other 4 will be pure DP.

Back