Budget build for kid, help appreciated

Devilpup

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, have to admit I've been out of the loop for a bit and am short on time to do a lot of research so I'm asking for help. I am looking to build a pc for my kid that basically needs to handle general web browsing, some kid educational programs, and extremly light gaming. I figure one of the AMD cpu's would work fine since it has a decent gpu, and I don't have spare parts to use in the build. I ran through PC hound and came up with this:

PC Hound - Build a PC in Seconds

Of all the parts involved, the one I would least want to skimp on is the case since I could always use it again later. I have a Lian-Li PC-60 that I use for my other kid and was pretty heartbroken to find out I couldn't just get another one. I answered the questions below:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

This will primarily be for web browsing and general utility as my kid's first computer (8 yo), but they also play crap like Roblox, Minecraft, and Trove. Nothing graphically intensive, which is why I thought an AMD w/ APU would be fine. The most important part of the build is responsive and quiet, hence the need for SSD and aftermarket cooler.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Prefer to keep it as low as I can get away with including shipping/tax, somewhere around 500 including windows license.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Tucson AZ

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

CPU, quiet CPU cooler, RAM, mobo, case, psu, wireless card unless there's a mobo with one built in (don't necessarily need a discrete GPU)

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Complete scratch box build, less peripherals.

6) Will you be overclocking?

No way

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Forget size but probably 24-in? It's a 1080p

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next 2-3 weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Mobo just needs to be solid, it needs to have a slot to add a discrete GPU later if I want.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Will install Win10-64 (I know how we feel about this and would just install linux, but it's for a child)

PC Hound - Build a PC in Seconds

There ya go. Cheaper and much better APU with the new AMD Quiet Cooler so no need for the Hyper 212+.

Oh, and faster RAM (2133) which makes a big difference on graphics speed on APU's.

Last edited:
I have a system I use for some projects back in my computer room.

It did have an ASUS P5Q, Q9650, and 8GB RAM. Was a good system (old), but thought I'd see if I could sell the parts combo on Ebay for $199.
So I posted it and yep, sold it for $199. :)

Then turned around and ordered an MSI Z97 PC-Mate, Intel G3258, and 8GB DDR3-1866 GSkill Sniper RAM. All for $200 ($10 rebate on mobo).
Built-in video works great and CPU overclocks easily to 4GHz. Kicks major ass on the old parts. Good upgrade for pocket change all said and done.

Just me, but I'd buy Intel instead of AMD. I used to be an AMD guy back in the Athlon XP vs. P4 days, not any more though.

You could save about $70 buying a Windows key from one of the members here on [H].

Yep, get a Win-7 key for a dirt cheap from [ION] in 4-Sale and it will upgrade to Win-10 easily.

Last edited:
Thanks for the assist guys, especially the heads up about Windows keys in the forum. All things considered, I'd prefer to stick with Win 7 pro anyway, so that works out great.

I did a little more shopping around and realized I have access to Microcenter so I checked out an A10/mb combo for around $130 that includes wifi, which brings the cost down a bit.

Micro Center - Computers and Electronics

Not thrilled about a mITX board but if it gets the job done then w/e. Outside of the case I doubt these parts will get reused in another build later anyway and should last long enough for the kids.

Back