Budget Dual Core showdown (Pentium D 805 vs X2 3800)

Hey what bios revision are you guys using on the P5ND2-SLI and which is the shipping bios? I just got mine its on my desk in the office and I have to wait until 7:30 to install it lol. Im just curious if I should flash the bios up immediately? Anything else I should be concerned about? I've read some horror storys about these boards and Pentium D's however from this thread alone and some info I've gathered on other forums I felt confident purchasing it -- as a result I have to thank the original poster of this thread.
Thanks!

Mike

Thanks for including the Xeon benchmarks, and its nice to see other people still using them. Mine are going on 3 years now, and while the single core performance is still plenty for all of todays games, the longevity of the rig is going to depend a lot on hoping that all the next gen games make good use of multithreading. 4 Virtual processors (dual hyperthreading) really does seem to help out in a lot of the encoding stuff. The only dual core chips that have hyperthreading enabled are the $$$ extreme editions.

i was thinking about getting this processor vs the amd 64 3500+, i won't be overclocking, what you guys think? the p D w/ mobo is 160 and the amd is like 180

GotNoRice said:
Thanks for including the Xeon benchmarks, and its nice to see other people still using them. Mine are going on 3 years now, and while the single core performance is still plenty for all of todays games, the longevity of the rig is going to depend a lot on hoping that all the next gen games make good use of multithreading. 4 Virtual processors (dual hyperthreading) really does seem to help out in a lot of the encoding stuff. The only dual core chips that have hyperthreading enabled are the $$$ extreme editions.

Don't forget, hyperthreading will be going away

"the much-hyped HT technology that can be found in the current Pentium 4 won't make the transition to the new chips."

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/news/home_news/intel_developer_forum_2005_intel_drops_hyperthreading

If no OC stick with AMD for now.

An 805 + a board for 160? Wow. WHere?

3500 amd 64 goes for about 200.

So im just finishing up my install.... the shipping bios just plain sucks on this mobo, flashed it up, backed off my ram timings to 2T and itll post with both modules in, it may post at 1t but it wasnt with 0203. Now have 0601 on here and it recognizes it as a Pentium D instead of a P4 lol. Anyways im going to finish driver installs and ill be back with some results... just waiting for my ceramique to set before i check temps too.

K so here we go, this was my first run at 3dmark, I havent touched voltage whatsoever. Not too shabby :) Temperatures were shown after my first run, ill try some burn in software and see what i hit temperature wise tommorrow but idle looks like its about 33C. Ive got an Antec P180 and Zalman 9500 HSF. The fact that the FSB is so low seems like its this processors savior. Im running it 200+mhz above spec and its not topping out due to the mainboard not choking it would seem. Im loving this so far and cant wait to get home from work tommorrow to play around with it some more.
Pic

Please show more pics with cpuz. I'd like to c if im doing the right thing with the ram. DDR2 and OCing Intel seems more complicated than DDR.

This is terrible... My G.Skill diodn't work so I'm using a patriot ddr 800 extreme
membench5dc.jpg

You have terrible RAM latencies.Any RAM , even the crapiest one can handle 3-3-3-9 at 216MHz.

If you're using Patriot 800 you can go for 3-2-2-4-1T at 216MHz.

Yes. Still playing around with it. I put the Thermalright SI and idles at high 30's.

Still trying to figure out how this ddr2 works.

I'm used to having dividers and this ABIT NI8 only lets me increase the mem frequency by 1. I have it at 800mhz but i'm kinda confused becasue cpuz shows freguanecy at 200mhz...

SLiCkFX said:
It's almost impossible to pass this chip up now.

Pentium D 805 - $122.50 - 10% off Code: TECHBARGAINS = $110.25!! $6 shipping.

Nice! I may have to grab a few of these for folding boxes on the cheap! :D

Had a decent amount of time for trial and error and getting to know "ddr2 and Intel".

4gigprime4up.jpg

Wow, this processor caught me by suprise. A dual core ALMOST at the $100 mark... Intel, my hat comes off to you! If Intel continues this price assualt + combined with the conroe, AMD is going to suffer big time.

You toss in a cheap drive (say 1.5gb) $5, case w psu $20, memory $15 (256mb), this processor $115, cheap board $40 = $195 for a folding box! :eek: Thats $36.65 per GHZ! :eek:

Yeah Chrisf 920 vs 3800+ is way long overdue. Must have NOT wanted to pissoff the AMD followers?

The X2 3800+ runs faster in gaming than a Pentium D 920. In applications both processors run neck-to-neck with a slight advantage for the 3800+. On the other hand a Pentium D 920 is between 15% and 20% cheaper and overclocks clearly better: We achieved with air-cooling a 45% frequency increase and believe that 40% (or around 3900 MHz) are achievable with almost every air-cooled 920. Overclocked to its maximum stable frequency we found the 920 outrunning a maxed out X2 3800+ in almost all benchmarks.

Donnie27 said:
Yeah Chrisf 920 vs 3800+ is way long overdue. Must have NOT wanted to pissoff the AMD followers?

review said:
We achieved with air-cooling a 45% frequency increase and believe that 40% (or around 3900 MHz) are achievable with almost every air-cooled 920. Overclocked to its maximum stable frequency we found the 920 outrunning a maxed out X2 3800+ in almost all benchmarks.

And that is why I got a 920. Mine hits 3.9Ghz on stock voltage, and higher with more juice, but I like stock voltage overclocks.

chrisf6969 said:
And that is why I got a 920. Mine hits 3.9Ghz on stock voltage, and higher with more juice, but I like stock voltage overclocks.

Yup!

Just out of curiousity...

I know the Asrock 775Dual-880Pro supports the 805. But does it support it while using plain ol DDR? This seems like the perfect upgrade path for me. I can grab an 805, one of these boards and I'm in business. I can use my existing AGP card and my existing DDR400. When I want to upgrade, I'll drop in some DDR 2. Then a PCI-e card. Then I'll toss this board and get something that doesnt cripple the PCI-e and hopefully supports conroe. And when the conroe comes out, I'll snag one of those.

I can afford $200 per upgrade, but not the massive chunk of change it would require to get everything overhauled.

benutne said:
Just out of curiousity...

I know the Asrock 775Dual-880Pro supports the 805. But does it support it while using plain ol DDR? This seems like the perfect upgrade path for me. I can grab an 805, one of these boards and I'm in business. I can use my existing AGP card and my existing DDR400. When I want to upgrade, I'll drop in some DDR 2. Then a PCI-e card. Then I'll toss this board and get something that doesnt cripple the PCI-e and hopefully supports conroe. And when the conroe comes out, I'll snag one of those.

I can afford $200 per upgrade, but not the massive chunk of change it would require to get everything overhauled.

I think I'll buy my RAM next week and I'm sticking with 667, not 800 DDR2, 2GB at least.

The end of May, I'll get a 7900GT or X1900XL, may even put this off and use my current X800XL PCI-E. I'm not even worried about Cheap Drives and etc... I already have extra Case with all of the drives except HDD.

Wait for

Donnie27 said:
I think I'll buy my RAM next week and I'm sticking with 667, not 800 DDR2, 2GB at least.

The end of May, I'll get a 7900GT or X1900XL, may even put this off and use my current X800XL PCI-E. I'm not even worried about Cheap Drives and etc... I already have extra Case with all of the drives except HDD.

Wait for

Ok. I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you sure you replied to the right thread?

SLiCkFX said:
My thoughts exactly. I'm going to keep my Prestonia Xeon for a while longer as my main work station, until AMD or Intel releases something significantly faster than a 2-3 year old chip.

You know what, I have another system in the other room that is a Northwood 3ghz/P4P800 Deluxe :). Time for some more benchmarking :D

I think the P5ND2-SLI is a much better board than the P5LD2. Not only is it SLI and proven it can overclock well, it cost less than the P5LD2. P5ND2-SLI is going for under $98 bucks.

People, you are forgetting the price aspect when you are comparing the PD 920 to the 805. $260 vs $135. The price of a PD 805 + P5ND2-SLI is still significantly lower than just the PD 920 chip alone.

And it's about that for the 3.0E alone (amazingly). The 3.0E is still going for about $250USD (retail, if you can find one). Meanwhile the 805 will pretty much eat the lunch (and have room left for dinner) of *any* Prescott (let alone the Northwood-C) even leaving SLI out of the equation, not to mention the fact that it does x64 OSes and apps (beyond any Prescott or Northwood). If it were priced any lower, it would be a Celeron D killer.

Without seeing any of this I have one coming in the mail. I unfortanutely bought the wrong motherboard, but the folks at newegg were kind enough to credit my account on return. I am planning on using this with my existing RAM and videocard on an AGP motherboard.

I am hoping for a summer-stable 3.6 ghz. I know its not going to replace my s754 @ 2.3 for gaming but should smooth out everything else I do. I was shooting for sub 200 for a motherboard/cpu combo but am blowing that by 20 dollars after everything is straightened out.

It is looking from all of your predictions I have saved myself from another major overhaul for at least a year.

I have just upgraded my good old XP 2500 system to Pentium D 805. Boxed CPU ~ $130, ASUS P5P800 SE mb for $60. Total is sub $200. Put my 2x512 DDR400 and old R9700PRO there. Ocing went like a charm. Set FSB to 166 and memory option to 166 as well.
Result 3.32G CPU on DDR412 memory at stock voltage/cooling. I am using Linux and i don't really care about any benchmarks, but this machine is A BEAST. Experience is so much more smooth than mine S939 AMD64 3000+ stock i have at work.

If anyone has old K7 or low clock P4 system and has invested some cash in AGP card/memory i highly recommend looking at 805 as it has got insanely great upgrade value - fast dual CPU @ sub $200 level.

And to stay on topic i have to say that there is no showdown between 805 and X2 3800 as they are at completely different price levels. 805 is in a legua of it's own - price is competitive with Semprons and performance/features wise it is within 15-20% of X2 3800.

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get me a 805 system to replace my Athlon 64 2800 box. I'm a n00b at the overclocking side of things -- what memory should I get without it costing a forture but still giving me good performance? (3.9Ghz would be sweet!) What cooling?

I was thinking of getting the ASUS 5ND2-SLI board to go with it.

joel99 said:
I think I'm going to take the plunge and get me a 805 system to replace my Athlon 64 2800 box. I'm a n00b at the overclocking side of things -- what memory should I get without it costing a forture but still giving me good performance? (3.9Ghz would be sweet!) What cooling?

I was thinking of getting the ASUS 5ND2-SLI board to go with it.

From what people are saying, your old DDR will still work. If you're going for a board that does SLI though it most likely uses DDR2. Since these CPUs start out at a very low FSB (533MHz quad pumped or a 133MHz system) you should be able to buy just about any DDR2 and have it work great for overclocking.

On the cooling side, just use the one that comes with the CPU. I doubt you'll get 3.9GHz out if it, but you should get at least 3.6GHz. I'd suggest an XP-90 for the cooler if you want something better than stock cooling to get you past 3.6GHz.

People,please what do you think,why my pentium 4d 805 on mobo asus
p5vd1x(via pt 880ultra) can't over 3,2ghz?what is the reason for
that?thankful for your opinion.Also,i would like to now,i've read
somewhere that pt 880 ultra suports up to 1 mb l2 k.Is it mean
considering p4 d 805 has 1+1mb l2 k pt 880ultra does not utilise fully
of l2 k?best regards

cpu p4 805
mobo asus p5vd1-x
2x512mb pci 400 ddr
gigabyte 6600 gt
power 350w

benutne said:
Ok. I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you sure you replied to the right thread?

Maybe you have no idea because it wasn't posted to you LOL!

I'm actually quite dissapointed. Was going to trade out my setup for a 805 setup, but now, after seeing this review i'm having second thoughts. I originally saw all kinds of posts and people blabbing that one of these 805's could "trounce an fx-60!" and crap. Now they don't look too good.

ie tom's hardware: - "With a simple modification, however, this CPU can outperform every top-of-the-line processor around."

dude: what are you expecting? a sub 150 processor able to beat amd flat ship line? if thats was a possibility, amd would be out of business and intel wouldn;t have to release conroe at all

for its price, once oc its almost as good as a x2, and thats what matters..

benutne said:
Once again, I bow to the superior intellect of the [H]orde...

fan_83 said:
dude: what are you expecting? a sub 150 processor able to beat amd flat ship line? if thats was a possibility, amd would be out of business and intel wouldn;t have to release conroe at all

for its price, once oc its almost as good as a x2, and thats what matters..

I was expecting people were saying what it would actually do, and that was 'amazing'. But no it doesn't. I'm not saying it's a bad deal or anything, but there's no reason for me to get rid of my 4000+ and entirely switch to an intel setup for no gain. When people are claiming it "beats everything out there" when it can't meek past a 3800, that's a far stretch, ya mean?

logically it can;t beat the 4000, but it will beat anything in its price bracket and maybe the one above it..
the really great kicker would be conroe which is definitely believed to beat everything out htere..

the 805, really have sewn up the budget and mid end euthuseast market, while conroe will take the high end and extremes..

i mean if you really believe that the 805 can wipe out everything amd can throw at it, then you have to have your eyes checked again.. in every forum, and thread htat i met, no one ever claimed that the 805 is the one ultimate chip that makes everythign looks bad..

what we are all going gaga about is it great overclockability, with nearly everyone can oc up to 3.6ghz at stock.. and with a bit of volts, up to 3.9-4.0

thats a 50% increase which is why we are so in awe, not to mention its a dual core as well as low price

Back