Buffalo Firestix v. Gskill

SiliconValley

Limp Gawd
I wanted to get the Buffalo Firestix (1GB x 2) but they are currently out of stock everywhere I look. I then noticed that the Gskill RAM is priced similarly and seems to have favorable reviews. I'm looking at overclocking an e6600 on an Asus P5W dh Deluxe board. Should I wait for the Buffalo Firestix or is the Gskill RAM equal to the task?

I just RMAed my G.Skill for some buffalo and the difference in OCability is stark on my board. (Biostar TForce 965PT w/E6600)

Which model by Corsair? I'm looking to spend about what the Buffalo were (~200).

Ignore him, for 200$, no Corsair stick is good since the one with the Micron D9 chips is 8500C5D and above with a price tag of 300$+

Avoid Corsair in the $200-$300 price range, unless you like the PROMOS memory chips that do not overclock well. After I RMA'ed a defective set of Corsair they sent me actually a pretty good set that would make it all the way up to 486 MHz at very loose timings of 5-7-7-20 that is. Most of them you are lucky to get 450 MHz out of it at any timing. If you are running at stock speeds it doesn't matter what you get.

But with an E6600 you can get a set of DDR2-667 stick for 120 bucks and overclock them to 400. Unless you want go faster than 3600 MHz.

But if you want to really overclock then you want the Micron D9s on those stick.

Back