Bugography 2010

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
2010 was an extremely busy year for me. Even though I did get out most weekends to capture my images, I never had the oppertunity to process any of them until now.

aphids.jpg

toad3.jpg

spider75.jpg

spitbug2.jpg

spitbug2detail.jpg

catplr20.jpg

biglunch.jpg

daisybug2.jpg

damsel3.jpg

flysnozl2.jpg

grub2.jpg

littlebeetle2.jpg

longhorn.jpg

tinysnail.jpg

Many more to follow!

Very nice!
I have been using a long lens for birding a while now and am interested in getting a macro lens for this type of stuff.
What gear are you using?

Thanks. These are all taken with a D2X and a Nikkor 200mm f4 except for the aphids which was with a Tamron 90mm plus 68mm additional extension. I don't remember all the details now but they will be mostly handheld or with a monopod. The aphids were likely with a tripod and focus rail.

very nice pictures you have there! Wish I had the money for macro lenses (stuck with 18-55 kit lens + old FD lens haha)

bfly16.jpg

biglunch2.jpg

catplr21.jpg

These bottleflies are dining on a flattened frog:
bottleflies.jpg

And this butterfly thought that frog was pretty tasty too:
bfly17.jpg

bfly18.jpg

catplr22.jpg

catplr23.jpg

bfly19.jpg

catplr24.jpg

catplr25.jpg

cranefly5.jpg

dew.jpg

inchworm.jpg

inchworm2.jpg

leafhopper4.jpg

Processed a few more today. I'm in to July now, BTW

spider76.jpg

beetlelunch.jpg

Some of you may remember the mama wolf a couple of years back. Here is another:
wolfmother2.jpg

wolfmother3.jpg

wolfmother4.jpg

You know, on the odd occasion I still like to photo bugs, but it's never quite as close looking as yours get. Sometimes I don't want to look anymore, and just light them on fire :)

Some detail of Mama Wolf's babies:
wolfmother5.jpg

I think next time I find a wolf like this I am going to go extra close and try and get a "hemisphere" (that aughta creep out the arachnophobes)

Waterstriders are incredibly difficult to get a photo of. I have yet to get a pic I am really happy with.
strider2.jpg

This bed of dry moss was literally crawling with wolves. I never tire of photographing these. They have the coolest faces:
spider77.jpg

spider78.jpg

spider79.jpg

spider80.jpg

spider81.jpg

spider82.jpg

What's your flash setup? Awesome photos!

Thanks

I use a remote mounted, diffused SB900 on an RRS bracket like this (SB800 in this photo):

200macrogear.jpg

It also acts as the master to wirelessly control two SB800s that I use to light the background:

flashstick2.jpg

Wow! These just keep getting better! (how is that even possible??) Love all the ones in post #15! :)

leafhopper7.jpg

fly14.jpg

dragon15.jpg

bfly20.jpg

idunnobug.jpg

dragon14.jpg

fly15.jpg

looking_beyond.jpg

... and that looks like it for 2010. Perhaps not the most productive summer (been awful windy last couple of years) but I think I got a few good ones.

Wow those pictures are amazing, makes me wish I had gotten into photography as a hobby.

Seems you've reached the limit on biology's resolution for artwork - the butterfly's wings are quite pixelated ;)

Those are some superb images. I only hope I can get that good sometime in the near future =).

Back