Build Comments?

dr_dirtnap

Limp Gawd
Okay, I'm kind a noob when it comes to the HTPC realm, I have alot of spare parts laying around and decided to make use of it. Please make any comments or suggestions on any of the software / hardware configuration.

Hardware:
Case: NMEDIAPC 400SA w/FSP 400w PSU
MB: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
CPU : AMD x2 3800
Ram: 1 GB OCZ Gold (2x512)
Video Card: ASUS 6600 (non GT)
HS: XP-90C with a Zalman Fan (hopefully it's fairly quiet)
HD: Seagate Perpendicular Recording 500gb Drive
DVD: Nec ND-3550a
Network: Linksys A/B/G Dualband Wireless PCI Card
Tuner: Nvidia Dual TV
KB/Mouse: Microsoft B2H-00002 RF/Wireless Combo

Software:
OS - Windows XP Pro
Frontend - Mediaportal
DVD / Video Player - TheaterTek
PVR - Sage Media Center

As I said, I am building this from alot of spare parts, and wondering if I should change the hardware at all. The X2 might be overkill, but it will be folding 24/7 as well, so it won't be wasted.

I have a copy of TheaterTek so I was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to Zoomplayer.

Also the TV will be a standard JVC 35" tube, non-HD TV connected via S-Video. I would say, I won't be upgrading the TV for at least a year. The sound will be connected via an optical cable to a Sony DVD/Surround sound combo.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Looks good. But I would add a small hard drive, say 40 gig, just for the OS. If you need to upgrade stuff later it makes things a lot easier.

Thanks! Great idea, I have a few 80gb's SATA drives laying around too, so I will throw one of them in. That makes great sense since so I don't have to worry about the media stuff if I decide to play with the OS.

dr_dirtnap said:
Thanks! Great idea, I have a few 80gb's SATA drives laying around too, so I will throw one of them in. That makes great sense since so I don't have to worry about the media stuff if I decide to play with the OS.

Exactly. Also if you later choose to build a seperate storage server you can just pop out the drive.

zalman fans aren't the best fans for quiet. Nexus are popular, but expensive. Yate Loons are very popular (in fact, Nexus fans are rebadged, slightly modded Yate Loons) due to very nice sound signature and cheap price. The older low speed panaflos will also be good. Arctic cooling has some new fans out that look good on paper, but I haven't seen any official reviews. If you are interested in quiet, take a look at silentpcreview.com. Have fun!

Back