Build new or rebuild

Hollow4

Limp Gawd
im looking into an HTPC and im wondering if i should roll my current system, with a few mods into an HTPC or build a new one. i dont need massive storage as im not going to store the files on the HTPC but on my server. Im looking for this to strictly record shows and movies, rip dvds, burn dvds (for backup purpose) and then play the occasional music file while i game

whatever happens at least 4x 320 is going to be added to the server to bump to the ~1.5 terrabyte range on the server, though maybe not right away since i would rather have the HTPC and a gaming Rig running first, then worry about my long term Storage needs. a nice HTPC case will be bought to house everything. something flashy, call me what you will but i want it to fit in well with my HK635 and the JVC LCoS 52in TV im gonna buy.

with a budget of lets say 2000 strechable to 2500 i would like to at least build one decent new computer, but with that said would it be wise to take my current 1800 and turn that into a HTPC and concentrate on building a new gaming rig for around 1500-1800, strictly parts no mons, or should i just worry about building a nice HTPC and upgrading the server and try and find cash elsewhere to build a new comp in a couple of months, like in January. i guess what it boils down to is, will the 1800 be able to handle everything? I mean i play BF2 at medium everything and it seems to handle it ok except when there are massive amounts of bombs exploding and like a hundred people running on screen.

when i get home in an hour or so ill post some hardware that i was looking at and see what you all think.

edit heres what im thinking reguardless of the decision to to upgrade or build new.

case (for sure something close to this type of design)
Ahanix D4 HTPC Case, Black - 159-189

Tuner card and software from PCalchemy
SageTV 2.2 / PVR-150MCE / NVIDIA DVD Decoder Bundle - 115

Harddrives
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM - 125 x 5 = 575

Controller Cards
I figure i can get two good ones for about a 100 (50-80 if i build new HTPC)

Now if i build new HTPC i would do something like this.
Proc
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor - Retail - 146
should be lower to around 120 when i buy in 2 months

PSU
ENERMAX EG465P-VE(FC) 460W Power Supply - Retail - 53

Mobo
MSI K8N Neo4-F ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail - 86

RAM
GeIL Ultra 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Platinum Copper Heat Spreader. Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail - 132

Video Card
SAPPHIRE 100118 Video Card - OEM - 67

Sound Card
Turtle Beach CATALINA Sound Card - OEM - 46

not sure on an OS either XP or MCE depending on what i here from folks at the time of purchase. what i have listed is just over 1500 and could easily be upgraded where needed, of course the OS has to be added so its not even 1700. i dont want/need ridiculous speeds out of this thing just something to get the job done well.

if i revamp my old sys and build a new i would spend about 1600 on a gaming machine and still buy the HTPC case, all the Harddrives and the Sage TV bundle

hope thats more insight

Back