build problem

Cigolon

Gawd
i'm building a socket 754 athlon 3000+ on a gigabyte GA-K8U motherboard.
i've got it breadboarded out right now and the power is hooked up. i've kept it as barebones as possible with only the one dimm of ram in it and no ide or agp card in it for video.

when i hit the power, the fan gives a little spin but nothing else. the power is going through the mother board because i can see the ram led on the motherboard come on.

ideas?

gigabyte is offically useless. their tech support page has a broken submit button for asking a question and the phone line isn't even a 800 and is long distance.

I found Gigabytes telephone support to be very helpful. Maybe you should overlook the dollar or two in phone costs and they might really help.

My suggestion would be to check your motherboard cabling from the front of the case. I once could not get a PC to boot and discovered that I did not have the power switch pin connector on right.

Have you tried connecting all your cabling from the case, and w/ your vid card, HDDs etc?

its breadboarded. i've hooked and rehooked the cables in the case, and since then i removed all the wires and just gave up trying it that way. that aside, when i did have it in the case and hit the power button, the power did begin to cycle. the fan did begin to move. it got about one rotation and then stopped

and 3 to 4 bucks doesn't cover the time i've already spent on hold for their phone service- i have no idea how long i have to wait and i dont even get a "thanks for holding". their service is crap thus far.

Sorry to hear about your Gigabyte troubles. I found them prompt and courteous.

Have you checked the PSU by using a paper clip to make sure it works?

Don't want to freak you out, but I had that same problem before and it was because I chipped the green enamel on the CPU w/ a screwdriver when putting the CPU block on. It was a socket A, though.Do you have another CPU that fits that you could test out?

Make sure the PSU is set to 110/ 115/ 120 with the button all the way over as far from 220/ 230/ 240.

Have you tried putting the ram into a different slot? My Asus mobo won't post without the ram correctly configured. (The mobo manual was incorrectly labeled so what it listed as the correct configuration didn't actually work)

*shivers* i remember putting the fan on my socket A processor. that was a pain in the butt.

i'm not so much freaked out as just annoyed. this shouldn't be taking so long ;p

the only way i can get another cpu to test on this board is to wake my friend up. i've tried and he hasn't answered yet. he works 3rd shift EMT, so he's usually beat til around 4. when he gets up i'll be able to try it.

i'm going to a computer lab at a local college right now to test the PSU.
i'll see if i dig anything up that way.

If the fans twitch then it could be either a short or misplaced HSF connector.
Both will cause the twitch before shutting the mobo back down to save it and the CPU.

First check the heat sink fan is connected to the correct header.
If its not then it will shut down thinking there is no heatsink on the CPU.

If the heatsink is correct then try building it outside the case on an insulated surface.
I normally do that on the mobo's box.

Luck.......... :D

Back