Building 1U servers

devin_m

Limp Gawd
I doubt this is the correct forum but I couldn't think of one that matched.
I'm building a couple servers to have colo'd but I can't find appropriate 1U server chassis does anyone have any suggestions?

The motherboards I already have are as follows:
Supermicro X7DWA-N
Intel S5000XVN

One issue I'm going to run into is neither of these have onboard video as I was going to build workstations with them but have decided to go another route.

Probably cases/case modding forum or at a stretch the networking forum. Supermicro usually has cases for their own boards too.

Last edited:
I have two ASUS (I think) 1U chassis with these boards in them:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/xeon3000/x58/x8sti.cfm

They have integrated video and integrated dual nics. We had some gaming-style motherboards but they only had a single Realtek NIC, which didn't support VMware ESX. And they didn't have video so the ONE expansion port they had didn't help either. We used a little L-adapter to stick a video card in there.

Also have to get either 'regular' memory or remove the heatsinks from the RAM we had - the fins stuck out of the case.

Quick glance says there's at least one other variant: X7DWU with supported 1U chassis.

Intel has cases for their Server MoBos as well. Smart thing is to find the Mfg approved case. If you have iKVM on the boards you may be able to get away with shipping them without video, use a temp card when setting them up.

Back