Building a new computer.....Do I need a NEW OS?

SAW

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says...Im building a new computer, just a few parts left to get, so my mind is ablazing with anxiety and turmoil with all the questions and worries I have.

One of these questions is...

Do I need to "purchase" a new OS for my new computer?

Im using WinXP in this computer im on atm and want to use it with my new computer too, as when that does happen, my wife will be getting this computer and, well, I really dont want to have to buy a new OS if I dont have to.

The reason I ask is because I know it will ask for the CD key again. But, if you already used the CD key and cant use it again, then how does everyone re-format and stuff? I know they dont go out and buy a new OS everytime they have to reformat...sooo

How would the disc know Im loading the OS into a NEW computer or just reinstalling it?

All that being said, am I going to HAVE to buy a new OS or can I use this same one im using now of 2 different computers?

It will know your installing it again as soon as you goto activate it. At which time they'll know its a new pc. Now, that is fine if you install a different OS on the old machine. But as it is, you'll need to get a new one.

SAW said:
The reason I ask is because I know it will ask for the CD key again. But, if you already used the CD key and cant use it again, then how does everyone re-format and stuff? I know they dont go out and buy a new OS everytime they have to reformat...sooo

Actualy for every new PC I build I buy a new OS.. 1 key per PC is what you need to be legal. If you were reinstalling on the SAME PC then you can use the same Key. In reality you can grab a OEM copy of Windows XP home for around $100. By the time you figure out how to get around MS's protections you might as well have spent the $100, or just installed a copy of Linux for free.

Well thats a bummer, was really hoping I didnt have to buy another OS just cause Im building a new computer. The way I see it, its like a PC game. If I have 2 computers, I can install it on each computer, no problem.

I dont understand how it would know if Im just reinstalling it or if I just upgraded my computer vs. it being a brand new computer...Thats just one of about a million things i dont understand about computers, heh.

So, can someone tell me what the difference between buying an OEM copy of XP or the retail version? Its quite a price difference, is there anything I should know about?

Wasnt trying to do anythign illegal or anything, I just honestly dont know about this kind of stuff...

:D

By the time you figure out how to get around MS's protections you might as well have spent the $100, or just installed a copy of Linux for free.
NO no nono...you misunderstand....Wasn't "trying" to really get around any of their protections, just wanted to understand how this process works. This is my first ever build. The last time I updated an OS, it was going from MS ME to MS XP....So that, I understood, I would need to buy a new OS.....

I just was really hoping that since I bought it once, I wouldnt have to buy it again.

So, do all you guys who build computers just for fun always use a brand new copy of an OS when you build a new computer? I would think you would just reinstall it into the new computer??

SAW said:
Well thats a bummer, was really hoping I didnt have to buy another OS just cause Im building a new computer. The way I see it, its like a PC game. If I have 2 computers, I can install it on each computer, no problem.

I dont understand how it would know if Im just reinstalling it or if I just upgraded my computer vs. it being a brand new computer...Thats just one of about a million things i dont understand about computers, heh.

So, can someone tell me what the difference between buying an OEM copy of XP or the retail version? Its quite a price difference, is there anything I should know about?

Wasnt trying to do anythign illegal or anything, I just honestly dont know about this kind of stuff...

:D

Depending on the game, installing it on two different compluters is probably illegal as well. (The company would want you to buy two licenses of the game)

Retail vs OEM - since you don't seem to be following the advice of reading the sticky it goes like this: OEM is cheaper, but once you install it, the license becomes "bonded" to the computer meaning you can not legally use that install key ever again (except on the same PC). With retail, the license doesn't bond, meaning you can uninstall (format) the software from one PC to another as long as you only have it installed in one place at a time. Retail is normally about twice as expensive as OEM, but gives you much more flexibility.

SAW said:
The way I see it, its like a PC game. If I have 2 computers, I can install it on each computer, no problem.
You might want to read into the licensing of your games....as they are only "allowed" to be installed on one PC.

Party2go9820 said:
Depending on the game, installing it on two different compluters is probably illegal as well. (The company would want you to buy two licenses of the game)

Retail vs OEM - since you don't seem to be following the advice of reading the sticky it goes like this: OEM is cheaper, but once you install it, the license becomes "bonded" to the computer meaning you can not legally use that install key ever again (except on the same PC). With retail, the license doesn't bond, meaning you can uninstall (format) the software from one PC to another as long as you only have it installed in one place at a time. Retail is normally about twice as expensive as OEM, but gives you much more flexibility.

Yeah, I read the sticky as soon as that person posted the link. The sentence the sticky begins with at the top of the page didnt sound like something I needed to read, which is why I didnt read it at first. But I DID read it, however, thats not to say I understood what it was talkin about.

Ive never had 2 computers before. For the past 5-6 years, all ive had was this one. So, the issue of using 2 OS's never came up, therefore, I never really understood or knew about the licenses and what all that meant to ME.

You guys need to remember, I dont know hardly anything about computers and "usually", the stickies are geared(typed) for people in the "know". They're not exactly written for beginners. I find myself needing a "computer" lingo dictionary, cause I dont even know what OEM stands for, all I know is OEM means its cheaper, I dont exactly know why though. I do now, but didnt at the time I posted this post.

So, your saying, if I buy the OEM version of the XP OS, down the road, if and when I need to reformat, Ill have to BUY yet ANOTHER OS? If thats true, that really sucks. Since Im new to all of this stuff, there is a good chance I "might" have to reformat after awhile.

As far as the installing one game on 2 computers, I wasnt really talkin about an MMO or anything, as I already know you can only use one game to a computer, however, other games, simple games that my wife plays that are still on this computer, she would still want on her computer, games like Gadets and Ms. PacMan. I just figured I could install those on her computer as well as my new computer (ive kinda gotten into Gadets) and there wouldnt be a problem.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I really appreciate it :D

SAW said:
You guys need to remember, I dont know hardly anything about computers and "usually", the stickies are geared(typed) for people in the "know". There not exactly written for beginners. I find myself needing a "computer" lingo dictionary, cause I dont even know what OEM stands for, all I know is OEM means its cheaper, I dont exactly know why though. I do now, but didnt at the time I posted this post.

So, your saying, if I buy the OEM version of the XP OS, down the road, if and when I need to reformat, Ill have to BUY yet ANOTHER OS? If thats true, that really sucks. Since Im new to all of this stuff, there is a good chance I "might" have to reformat after awhile.

As far as the installing one game on 2 computers, I wasnt really talkin about an MMO or anything, as I already know you can only use one game to a computer, however, other games, simple games that my wife plays that are still on this computer, she would still want on her computer, games like Gadets and Ms. PacMan. I just figured I could install those on her computer as well as my new computer (ive kinda gotten into Gadets) and there wouldnt be a problem.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer (I think - Haven't looked it up in a while.) Basicly it means that if the "stuff" (could be software or hardware) was originally destined for a large PC manufactuer but made its way into the retail market. OEM stuff usually comes with less bells and whistles such as no manuals or pretty boxes since it was intended for imediate installation by an assembler type person in a large plant somewhere. Sometimes there are even different warranties available for OEM vs retail stuff. In the case of MS licensing, there is a very large licensing difference as well.

In your case of re-installing you'll be ok because you would be using the same key on the same computer. You just can't use that key on any other PC. Ever. It has become "one" with that computer's hardware. You can format and re-install a million times and as long as its on that same hardware, there is no problems. Where the sticky part is when you start swapping individual pieces of hardware. Is a new hard drive the same as a new PC? I think you're ok as long as you don't swap out the motherboard, but it becomes a big grey area.

As far as the games, a license is a license no matter how "big" or "little" a game is. If you own one license, but are using it on two PC's you're stealing. Sorry, but thats the rules.

(That said, I doubt the makers of "Gadgets" are going to hunt you down and sue you for copywrite viloations anytime soon)

Hmmm, I believe im understanding a bit more now, Thanks Party2go9820
As long as we are on the topic, Ive another question, even though it doesnt really have anything to do with me, just a question..

Lets say I was just upgrading one computer to a better one. Motherboard and everything else, BUT, when all said and done, at the end, I still only had/used one computer. If the computer being used previously was running XP, would I still have to buy another copy of XP for the new build?

It kinda seems silly to throw away a perfectly good workin OS just cause it was installed in an older computer. Nooo, not trying to bypass any laws or anything, just trying to get a better understanding of what can and cant be done....as I said, im not going this route, was just a question that popped into my head after reading your last post. Cause we were basically talkin about 2 computers. This time just talkin about one computer going to be used.

That being said.....What would happen if I just simply moved my HD from the old computer to the new one.....or does it not work that easily.....like the new computer wont reconize the HD unless its reformated or soemthing???

SAW said:
Hmmm, I believe im understanding a bit more now, Thanks Party2go9820
As long as we are on the topic, Ive another question, even though it doesnt really have anything to do with me, just a question..

Lets say I was just upgrading one computer to a better one. Motherboard and everything else, BUT, when all said and done, at the end, I still only had/used one computer. If the computer being used previously was running XP, would I still have to buy another copy of XP for the new build?

It kinda seems silly to throw away a perfectly good workin OS just cause it was installed in an older computer. Nooo, not trying to bypass any laws or anything, just trying to get a better understanding of what can and cant be done....as I said, im not going this route, was just a question that popped into my head after reading your last post. Cause we were basically talkin about 2 computers. This time just talkin about one computer going to be used.

That being said.....What would happen if I just simply moved my HD from the old computer to the new one.....or does it not work that easily.....like the new computer wont reconize the HD unless its reformated or soemthing???

Thats where the gray area comes in. When do you replace enough parts to call it a new computer? When you replace the processor? When you upgrade the video card? When you replace the hard drive, heat sink, diskette drive, case, etc. MS does have a point, but what it is I'm not sure.

Party2go9820 said:
Thats where the gray area comes in. When do you replace enough parts to call it a new computer? When you replace the processor? When you upgrade the video card? When you replace the hard drive, heat sink, diskette drive, case, etc. MS does have a point, but what it is I'm not sure.

There's places that'll sell you an OEM copy if you buy a one dollar IDE cable.

Party2go9820 said:

With an oem copy, I'm pretty sure, MS considers it a new pc, when you upgrade the mobo for reasons other than the mobo fried.. With retail, you can take it to whatever other computer you want as long as you remove it from the previous pc first..
That's not to say people don't use oem copies in an endless upgrade/new build cycle.. Many do, just saying what I believe MS's stand on the issue is..

SAW said:

If the OS is OEM version, then yes. OEM version locks to the motherboard. Change motherboard = buy another copy. :mad:

SAW said:

Same as above. If OS is OEM version, no other parts of the machine matter except the motherboard. Moving the HDD to a different machine with a different motherboard = buy a new copy.
I've replaced nearly everything in a machine running an OEM copy except the MB & everything worked fine. Even changed RAM, installed different CD drive, different heatsink & fan, & installed a new DVD drive & added a second HDD all at the same time... no problem with activation. Changed the MB & could no longer activate that copy, even over the phone. :mad: :mad:

Get retail version if at all possible!

Get retail version if at all possible!
Damn!!!! THAT is NOT what I wanted to hear, heh...

A brand new OS costs so much.....damn that gates dude.....why I oughta.....

For those of us with enough money to purchase a single copy of Windows XP (to stay legit) all you need to do is activate by phone and tell the microsoft representative that you reformated your PC. It's not strictly legal. But honestly who is going to care/check on you.

ameoba said:
There's places that'll sell you an OEM copy if you buy a one dollar IDE cable.

Which has nothing to do with the point I was making but does bring up another interesting caviat when talking about OEM software - it (atleast with MS) must be sold with hardware. Fortunatly "hardware" is satisfied by and IDE cable or analog sound cable. Newegg will even offer a rebate for the price of the cable so the accompaning hardware is free.

I wouldn't go as far as to recomend purchasing retail instead of OEM, just realize the limitations. Sometimes retail is the way to go and sometimes OEM is. At work we only use OEM because we never upgrade OS's on a box. If it needs a new OS, we get an entier new PC with another license of the newer OS. We also don't generally upgrade parts and pieces either.

GORANKAR said:
With an oem copy, I'm pretty sure, MS considers it a new pc, when you upgrade the mobo for reasons other than the mobo fried.. With retail, you can take it to whatever other computer you want as long as you remove it from the previous pc first..
That's not to say people don't use oem copies in an endless upgrade/new build cycle.. Many do, just saying what I believe MS's stand on the issue is..

This is correct..the mobo is the key component when its changed its a new pc..now with its upgraded due to the fact that the old one is toast or no longer available then you still fall under the Eula and are ok but you may have to call MS..check out this site it makes it very clear.. The other reason for this is from a support issue, MS gives no support for Oem copies, the system builder is the support channel and if company x builds the machine and you change the mobo, then you can hardly expect company x to offer support on it.

To the OP:

It's simple. OEM OS means new mobo = new OS. Replacing a dead mobo is fine as long as it's the same motherboard and not an upgrade. Article here.

To everyone else (especially if you're a student): You can obtain a free and legal copy of any OS if you're somehow affiliated with an entity that has purchased a site key. At my old school they would burn copies of XP Pro for anyone who requested it Not many corporations buy site keys, but some do. The best part is that there is no activation process to hassle you.

Swagger said:
Not many corporations buy site keys, but some do. The best part is that there is no activation process to hassle you.
Most corporations of any reasonable sized do....hence the reason why they are called corporate keys...aka VLK licenses. It's the same thing as a "site key", and doesn't have the activation crap, as you stated.

djnes said:
You might want to read into the licensing of your games....as they are only "allowed" to be installed on one PC.
Now thats just silly, I have a computer and a laptop. Why shouldn't I be able to install the game on both if Im only using one or the other? Now if I planned on using both at the same time, then yes Id purchase another copy. But an OS, which is used at all times would need seperate licenses.

hity645 said:
Now thats just silly...
Technically it's correct though. Install your game on a second PC and you're supposed to remove it from the one it was installed to originally.

Catweazle said:
Technically it's correct though. Install your game on a second PC and you're supposed to remove it from the one it was installed to originally.
While that is true, I don't see the need to do that when Im using it on one or the other.

Sorry for steering this off topic..Ill stop now.

hulksterjoe said:
This is correct..the mobo is the key component when its changed its a new pc..
To get back on topic it's probably a good idea to clarify this point.

The motherboard isn't "a" component. It is identified as somewhere around a dozen undividual components when the hardware key is calculated, which is why a motherboard replacement creates such large problems with activation. All the various controllers and whatnot on the motherboard are individual components, remember, even though they are physically located on the same PCB.

Back