Building a new computer. need help.

whats up [H]
every time that I have built a computer this has, obviously, been the most knowledgeable database to turn to.

The time has come for me to build a new rig. Im looking into doing something that has the ability to last me a few years, with being able to keep up to most of the games that come out. My question to you guys is, where to start?

This is what im thinking. Im gonna get a Lian Li case. Nothing special just one of thier regular black ones.
I have no idea what I should do about internals, obviously the hardest part of the computer. I know alot of the high end graphics cards and PCU's are relatively expensive now a days so I dont mind if I have to drop the money on it. Im looking to spend $2000 for the computer not including a new mouse keyboard and monitor. For 2000 i expect a quad core, really high end graphics card, good audio, 4 gigs of DDR3..etc. Its just been so long since I've done any computer hardware work that I dont know what goes with what, and what socket types are with which mother board, SLI? no SLI? help please.

and if there is anyone in the southeastern massachusetts area that would want to help me, your help qould be appreciated. thanks.

and my top priotority is keeeping it cold ( no water cooling I dont know if I could handle the maintenance)
thanks in advance guys

Whatever you do, Raced_out_Computers, DO NOT GET THIS PSU. It's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for a PSU that can kill your system?

Also this is the wrong subforum. Please ask a mod to move your thread to General Hardware. Also, please answer these questions so that we can help you better:
[Build Questions]
If you're gonna ask us to build/list a PC for you or seek advice about a build, please answer all of the following questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.

By answering these questions you help us help you build a better quality/preforming/cheaper PC.

Im sorry for posting this in the wrong forum. When originally posting I was kinda in a lunch-break frantic rush and prolly should have been more observant. If a mod reading this could move this to the right forum, I would really appreciate it.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Im going to be using the computer for Gaming ( FPS, WOW, RTS..) Maybe some graphic work but nothing ridiculous
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
I would like to spend 2000 not including the price of new keyboard, mouse and monitor. that doesnt mean I need to necessarily spend 2000 either
3) Where do you live?
South East Massachusetts (fall river)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything. I would like this case. If anyone has a better suggestion for a simple black case that is somehow cooler running im open to suggestions
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Im not reusing any parts, I would like to start new.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Currently Im not secure enough with my computer skills to OC. But if I keep reasearching then yes, I probably will be.
7) What size monitor do you have or plan to have?
I would like to get a 22-24" Acer. I believe I saw one on Newegg that was 1080P and had an HDMI port. So the Video card would have to be the same I guess. If there is a better combo though, Iam open to suggestion
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next few weeks, when im confident I have the computer that is Proper for me.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
If I said I wasnt sure what I wanted, does that make me a moron?

Everything. I would like this case. If anyone has a better suggestion for a simple black case that is somehow cooler running im open to suggestions
Umm, what case are you talking about?

If I said I wasnt sure what I wanted, does that make me a moron?

Not really.

Preliminary builds:
If you do get a 24" monitor, want to max out games at that 24" monitor's 1920x1200 resolution, and plan on upgrading the PC in 2 1/2 years to 3 years, then get this:
Intel Core i7 920 CPU - $300
Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 ATX Motherboard and Corsair XMS3 TR3X6G1600C9 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM Combo Link - $569
BFG BFGEGTX2801024E GeForce GTX 280 1GB PCI-E Video Card - $405
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $70
Samsung SH-222F 22X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $25
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $115
Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $50
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 OEM - $100
----
Total: $1634 Plus tax and shipping

If you do get a 22" monitor and plan on replacing the PC in two years, then get this:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU - $184
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 Motherboard - $115
2 x G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 RAM - $90
MSI N260GTX-T2D896 OC GeForce GTX 260 896MB PCI-E Video Card - $210
Western Digital WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - $70
Samsung SH-222F 22X DVD±R SATA DVD Burner - $25
Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - $115
Cooler Master RC-590-KKN1-GP ATX Case - $50
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle HSF - $32
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit SP1 OEM - $100
----
Total: $991 plus tax and shipping

If you do get a 24" monitor, want to max out games at that 24" monitor's 1920x1200 resolution, then just replace the GTX260 in the build above with the GTX280.

danny,
they discontinued that combo deal with the ram and mobo. What would you recommend in place? I was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145209 , Im not aware if this is along the same lines, its ddr3. And this is the case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112116 . And as far as the video card goes, I was looking for one possibly with an HDMI port, dont know if anything is available from the selection that you were looking at for me. Thanks in advance bro

danny,
they discontinued that combo deal with the ram and mobo. What would you recommend in place? I was thinking http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145209 , Im not aware if this is along the same lines, its ddr3. And this is the case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112116 . And as far as the video card goes, I was looking for one possibly with an HDMI port, dont know if anything is available from the selection that you were looking at for me. Thanks in advance bro

I'd recommend this RAM instead:
Patriot Viper 3 x 2GB DDR3 1600 RAM - $270

Note the costs and how much RAM you get. $270 gets you 6GB of RAM if you go with the Patriots while the Corsairs will only get you 4GB of RAM. So the Patriot RAM is the better deal.

Also, I recommend against going with that case. The rear 80mm fan is insufficient to cool a relatively high-end system like the Core i7 and GTX280. Other Lian Li cases to look at:
Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B ATX Case - $76
Lian Li PC-7B Plus II Silver ATX Case - $90

Also, the GTX280 supports HDMI via an adapter like this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Back