Building a new PC and need some suggestions...

OutInTheCold

Limp Gawd
To make a long story short, the computer in my sig died and I need to replace the majority of the parts.

In terms of performance, I had no problems with the computer other than the fact that it needed some more RAM. Ideally, I'd like a system with similar performance (though taking into account current components). Meaning, relatively cheap, but also relatively fast. I'll likely OC the computer, though not to a large extent.

I've been out of the loop for a bit so I figured I'd ask for recommendations before I started shopping around. I'll likely need a new processor, motherboard, RAM (2gb), video card, and possibly a new power supply and hard drive.

With regard to AMD vs Intel and ATI vs nVidia, I'm really only concerned with performance and price.

Summary - Need new components. Want something inexpensive with good performance.

Edit: I don't think I'll need SLI either now or in the future. As far as I can tell, it's generally a better idea to simply buy a newer card than it is to add another of your current card. Plus, I don't have the money/need for 2 top of the line cards.

Give a budget, and I'll give a build. I'd rather not guess at what you mean by 'inexpensive'.

Processor - $100-200
Motherboard - $75-125
RAM (2gb) - $100-125
Video Card - $100-225
Power Supply - $75-100
HD - ? (I haven't really decided how large)

Those prices aren't set in stone, but I hope they help.

Thanks

CPU: E6850. Dual core, but it should OC to 4+Ghz with aftermarket cooling. Grab a Sunbeam Tuniq Tower or Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and a Scythe S-Flex or Nexus 120mm fan to keep it cool. It will rock your world. Total cost may be a little over, here, but not crazy. Drop to an E6750 if it's too much. Wait until after the 22nd on this. Another $50 or so will get you a Quad, but it won't be running that fast.

Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3R - $130 It reviews well, it's not $220 like the ASUS board so many rave about, and it will do what you want. Solid 1333Mhz FSB support is a little pricey.

RAM: DDR2-1066, $150. Muskin D9. -- while this is a pretty good price, this would be the first place I dropped down if the price is too much. $90-100 gets you some nice G.Skill DDR2-800 that should OC to DDR2-1000 or so with slightly relaxed timings. Look around.

Video: all depends on what resolution you'll be gaming at. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 8800 GTS 320MB, though, so that puts you at $250 or so, right there. Consider buying one used to save some cash or picking up a used 640MB 8800 GTS for that or just a little more, rather than buying new.

PSU: This 560 watt Silverstone - $105, no rebates to bother with, unlike the Corsair 520HX. It's >80% efficient, plenty of power for a single card system, even if you go quad core. EDIT: Found the Silverstone PSU far cheaper here ($85+S/H) and you can try coupon code "jonnyguru" to save more on that, too.

HDD: whatever size Samsung Spinpoint or Seagate 7200.10 SATA drive you want.

Total is probably $150 or so more than you wanted, but there are a few places it could be brought down without sacrificing too much. It's looking like $900 or a little less without a harddrive at the moment.

Drop the CPU to a e6750, should bring you closer to your budget.

Between the e6550, 6750, and 6850 is there any advantage to the more expensive models other than the obvious speed increases? I'm considering simply getting the 6550.

And where would you recommend purchasing these processors? They don't seem to be widely available. I've never heard of any of the places I've found them listed.

Between the e6550, 6750, and 6850 is there any advantage to the more expensive models other than the obvious speed increases? I'm considering simply getting the 6550.

And where would you recommend purchasing these processors? They don't seem to be widely available. I've never heard of any of the places I've found them listed.

Well if you plan on OC'ing them I don't think there would be a "huge" difference in speed.

Wait for July 22nd, they should be much more avalable then.

Back