Building a rig around a intel core i5 750

.enigma.

Weaksauce
I was going to go with a AMD 955 BE but i found the i5-750 for cheaper at microcenter ($149) and read that it has better benchmarks and reviews

So i need help building a rig around an i5 now. I guess really all that would change is the motherboard and maybe the ram (based on what the new motherboard is)

Heres my old build, id like to keep as much as possible the same since everything is in my budget and ive spenty alot of time researching

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz
RAM: CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
MOTHERBOARD ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 790GX
HARD DRIVE: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
CD/DVD DRIVE: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V
CASE: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming (call of duty, fallout 3), lots of internet browsing while listening to music and downloading music/videos. I use MS Word alot also. Some light video editing.

I will watch alot of HD movies also
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Id like to keep in below 550 before tax and shipping

This is without a video card btw, i will buy that separately
3) Where do you live?
Northern Maryland
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything needed to build a good computer, except graphics card, moniter, mouse/keyboard and speakers
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card

Hard Drives:
Maxtor 6 H500R0 SCSI Disk Drive
Maxtor STM3500630AS ATA Device
WDC WD800JD-75MSA1 ATA Device
6) Will you be overclocking?
Possibly, very lightly though. I dont want to mess with voltages or anything like that.
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19 inch Sony monitor and a 19 inch wide screen Vizio HDTV that i use as a monitor
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Before christmas
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
Nothing too advanced just room for 3-4 hard drives. A nice overclocking utility would be nice too
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
I have a vista and XP liscence that i could use.

Last edited:
$160 - Gigabyte P55A-UD3P
$200 - i5 750

Keep your current DDR3 RAM, PSU, case, DVD drive, and hard drive. If you are planning on adding a power-hungry GPU (i.e. ATI 5890 or GTX 295), then consider a more powerful 700-750W PSU as well.

$160 - Gigabyte P55A-UD3P
$200 - i5 750

Keep your current DDR3 RAM, PSU, case, DVD drive, and hard drive. If you are planning on adding a power-hungry GPU (i.e. ATI 5890 or GTX 295), then consider a more powerful 700-750W PSU as well.

But... he get the CPU for $150. And why that motherboard - just curious.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130239&Tpk=MSI P55-GD65 t

A bit more than the one you have chosen for the Phenom build, but it got gold here. Overall will be about $20 more vs the initial Phenom II X4 build.

Thanks, that was actually one of the ones i was considering.

I can do with the price increase also. Im actually saving about 15 dollars going from the phenom to the intel i5

I was planning to add a HD 4890 card. Would i still need a upgraded psu

So, only $5 difference hey? :p

The 550VX should be fine with the 4890, perhaps for extra peace of mind you could get the 650TX. Input from someone more knowledgeable about PSUs would be good.

So, only $5 difference hey? :p

The 550VX should be fine with the 4890, perhaps for extra peace of mind you could get the 650TX. Input from someone more knowledgeable about PSUs would be good.

I think i might just spend the extra 10 dollars and get the 650TX

I would hate to have to choose what upgrades i make in the future based on what PSU i have

I think i might just spend the extra 10 dollars and get the 650TX

I would hate to have to choose what upgrades i make in the future based on what PSU i have

Only $10 more?

Oh, REBATES! Well, then it's sort of a why not almost haha.

It's a good new motherboard that supports USB 3.0 and SATA6. I like the Gigabyte boards.

No, your Corsair 550VX will be just fine.

I see. Yeah Gigabyte mobos are pretty cool - I don't mind them myself either.

Only $10 more?

Oh, REBATES! Well, then it's sort of a why not almost haha.

Yea, i can get a combo deal (another $10 off) if i buy the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard drive with it.

Is that a decent hard drive?

Yea, i can get a combo deal (another $10 off) if i buy the Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB hard drive with it.

Is that a decent hard drive?

It seems like it's a two-platter drive, but the Smasung F3s are the best 1TB HDs AFAIK. It will only be $10 more for the F3 - due to the combo with the Seagate. Otherwise they are the same price.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1440432 - a quick thread about the Seagate.

Yes, the Samsung F3 1TB are probably the fastest 1TB drives right now.

Back