building a64 computer?

mattsmall

Gawd
im building an a64 computer for a friend this is my first time with the a64 so is there anything special that i need to know in order to build/ install windows?

no it shoudl go together quite easily. not much different then any other computer (heatsink mounting mechanism may be something new to you but nothing difficult.)

nothing special. It's really going to depend on the board you get, and if you will be using a RAID array or SATA hard drive, and if the board has native support.. other than that, it's very straightforward.

pop mobo in case
drop CPU in, attach HSF
pop in memory
attach optical/hard drives
insert vid card
attach power cables
turn on, adjust bios settings
install windows (don't need SATA driver if board has native SATA which all new ones do. Only need driver at this point if installing to a RAID array)
install board chipset drivers
do all the windows updates
install other drivers

good to go.. no weirdness at all..

DryFire said:
no it shoudl go together quite easily. not much different then any other computer (heatsink mounting mechanism may be something new to you but nothing difficult.)

IMHO, I found that the heatsink mounting mechanism was a lot easier to use than the S478 P4's and a lot less wondering if you're going to break something as with the old Socket A's. Not difficult at all...happy building.

kirbyrj said:
IMHO, I found that the heatsink mounting mechanism was a lot easier to use than the S478 P4's and a lot less wondering if you're going to break something as with the old Socket A's. Not difficult at all...happy building.

yep mounting teh stock heatsink is very easy. Come to think of it is is about the easiest hs mounting system I've used.

mounting aftermarket HSF's are pretty easy too for the most part.. my swiftech mcx-6400v just used the back plate, and screwed in to it, with springs at tension limiters.. takes like 2 minutes to put on.. much nicer than it was for the socket A version..

thanks for the help guys i think hes going to be using the stock heat sink for now since hes tight on money.

Back