Building and I need to make sure of myself

HopePoisoned

Limp Gawd
okay, well I'm about to spend, well, total and all in all just under 1200 I suppose on a new computer build, and I want you folks to make sure that I couldn't be doing any better for what I'm paying - I could always take some cash off of this build but I'm thinking the system all in all will be a ~4 year investment (will use with XP now, upgrade to Vista when it's standardized or when it seems like the best choice, maybe even Vista's successor which is apparently right around the corner)

the specs I have so far:

115 Case: Lian-Li PC-7B PLUS II
150 Mobo: MSI P6N Platinum
313 CPU: E6600
145 RAM: 2x Patriot 1g DDR2-800 EDIT: for 160 Patriot 2g DDR2-800 extreme performance
95 HDD: Seagate Barracuda 320g ES model
70 GPU: eVGA 7600gs
120 PSU: Corsair 520watt EDIT: for 96 that lovely Corsair
30 IDE: Samsung 18x DVD burner w/ Lightscribe

I plan to use this machine for a lot of media, you know music, dvd burning, downloading a lot, and then I will be using a lot of Cubase, FL Studio, VSTi instruments etc. which is mainly why I went with the e6600 (the cache will help out here I think a lot)

Now I keep having thoughts about P965 mobo instead, but now I'm thinking that the e6600 will OC better with a 650i board, not sure though

overclocking is a second priority first priority is a great solid performer that I can count on for a good value

any help or revisions to my setup is GREATLY appreciated, I'm all set for a monitor mouse keyboard and sound btw

thanks a ton if you can help me, -Mike

PS it comes closer to $1200 after I add the stuff I want to my case (lights, temperature monitor), the mouse and keyboard I'm buying (I love the Razer Diamondback I cannot help it), and after I pay my 70 dollars of tax and pay the probably closer to 35 dollars in shipping for the whole thing

also for lighting and sleeving I was thinking about UV reactive green and yellow sleeving, and I want my case to have a blue cathode - does a normal Blue Cold Cathode excite the UV reactants? or do I need to buy a UV cathode? will 1 Blue and 1 UV cathode be bright enough to look good? or should I get 2 Blue Cold Cathodes to be bright enough? But will that make the sleeves look good? Or will the UV cathodes make my case look bluish anyway and I should get 2 of them? I've never put a window in a case before so I've never done this lighting stuff before!

I'm gonna suggest that you buy that Corsair 520HX at ZipZoomFly.com for $106 shipped if you don't live in CA. If you do live in CA, then it'll be about $113 shipped.

Oo that rebates new, thanks for showing me! I think I'll get in on that

thanks a lot for your input guys it means a lot to me!

what about my lighting situation? I figured everyone would have something to say about that

I basically use my computer for the same thing and have a 965 mobo. It has worked great for the month and a half after I built it. But then again, I was running a P4a (yeah A) northwood and a gig of pc2100 ram for the same thing.

Back