Building machine tonight, what's the proper burn in steps?

SportDerek

n00b
I finally have all my pieces and am putting this together tonight:

LanParty NF4 Ultra D
AMD 3200+ Win
1 Gig Corsair 3200XLPT
ATI X800 XL
74Gig Raptor
PCPC 510 SLI

What's the best steps for a burn in period? 3 years ago on my last build, I just slapped it together and went with it.

What programs/actions are recommended? I'm thinking about a slight OC after I get used to things... I've seen 3200s have some headroom...

Thanks.

from what i have seen, the TCCD based memory, like what you and i are using does not need burn in, as such.

i would suggest putting it together, setting things to manufacturer reccomended bios values for FSB and memory timings(not default bios settings), doing a full pass with memtest86, hammering on the processor with memtest 86 test 5 for an hour or so, and then installing windows, drivers, updates, and then priming it for at least an hour or so, before installing all of your apps, etc.

all of that is really excessive, running at stock speeds, but my DFI has given me no end of grief, even at stock speeds, so i tend to advise other users to excercise caution.

I usually run memtest one night and prime95 the next, minimum 8 hours each. If there are no erros your stable.

I just went through this last Wed, here is what I did...

Downloaded memtest86+ and created a bootable CD to boot with before I installed any OS. Ran through a few passes just to make sure the memory is working (~2 hours).

Installed XP and patched it up.

Installed SpeedFan and set up logging.

Installed Prime95 and ran it through torture test for about 7 hours before it failed. :mad:

Tweaked my BIOS settings again and ran Prime95 again and haven't had a problem since.

Slightly overclocked everything.

Ran memtest86+ again for 12 hours (from boot cd) to check the memory.

Ran Prime95 in Small FFT torture test mode for 24 hours to check the CPU.

Now I have a burned in rig that is running stable at an 8% overclock. Not too aggressive but a great learning experience. I highly recommend installing SpeedFan and setting up logging. It can check your temps/volts/fan speeds and log the information every few seconds. Checking the logs is extremely useful if you run into trouble.

Have fun! :p

I just upgraded my computer and I am going to get my memory sometime this week. I haven't reformatted yet, but I intend to give not only my current drive a full format, but I am adding another HD. Here's what I will have (and have currently minus the RAM but with 512 of Corsair XMS Platinum):

AMD64 3200+ Winchester
1gb PC3200 Corsair BH-5
K8N Neo2 Platinum
BFG 6800gt OC

In about two weeks I will have my water setup inside, but for now I am just running air.

Question: After I delete my current partition, should I do all of those things you listed before reformatting the drive? I am going to reformat right after I am done getting my water setup put in and I am going to overclock quite a bit with it.

DFI Daishi: when i had my lanparty i didnt have one problem with it, i ran it at 240 mhz fsb at a multiplier of 11 and the cpu ran at 1.725v to get it, all cooled with a lapped slk-800 and a 80mm enermax at 2300~2400 rpm

nb and sb cooling is importaint for the lanparty, installed the zalman cooler thats currently on my p4, and epoxied the little brother zalman makes on my sb, i also used the hellfire bios

..........are you saying that you are purchasing some new ram that still uses BH-5 chips? where?

all that stuff i suggested was just to make sure that no settings were wrong, and no hardware was fighting, prior to installing all of his stuff.

it is not very rigorous stability testing, but since he is running it stock, there should not be a problem to start with, and these measures are just in case.

DFI Daishi said:
..........are you saying that you are purchasing some new ram that still uses BH-5 chips? where?

all that stuff i suggested was just to make sure that no settings were wrong, and no hardware was fighting, prior to installing all of his stuff.

it is not very rigorous stability testing, but since he is running it stock, there should not be a problem to start with, and these measures are just in case.

The stuff in my sig uses CH-5. BH-5 is found on TwinMOS SP DDR433, but I've only seen that sold in a british online store.

ryuji said:
DFI Daishi: when i had my lanparty i didnt have one problem with it, i ran it at 240 mhz fsb at a multiplier of 11 and the cpu ran at 1.725v to get it, all cooled with a lapped slk-800 and a 80mm enermax at 2300~2400 rpm

nb and sb cooling is importaint for the lanparty, installed the zalman cooler thats currently on my p4, and epoxied the little brother zalman makes on my sb, i also used the hellfire bios

my board requires 1.9 chipset voltage to run fully stable at motherboard stock FSB of 200.

my NB is cooled with a swiftech MCX159 chipset cooler.

my SB is cooled with the stock cooler.

my mosfets are cooled with a cut up A7N8X cooler, and BGA ramsinks.

i have tried dropping my multi down to 10 and testing what i can do in memtest86, and i can get up to a bit over 240 FSB with 2-3-3-11 timings, but nothing over 204 FSB is prime or game stable.

i have tried hellfire version 2 and version 3 bios. they do not help my OC, and cause random crashes.

i normally run with 06/19 official bios, and am now trying out 11/24.

i have the cold boot problem, so older official releases are not an option unless i do a warmod, and i would like to avoid that.

if you seriously think that you and the other DFI users on these forums can help me get an FSB overclock with this thing, then i will be glad to work with you.

robberbaron said:
The stuff in my sig uses CH-5. BH-5 is found on TwinMOS SP DDR433, but I've only seen that sold in a british online store.

i am not in the market, but thanks for the info.

my understanding is that very few places have anything at all that still uses BH-5 chips, and that those who do often have really bottom of the barrel stuff.

it is simply that this guy is saying that he is buying new corsair with it, and i was pretty sure that corsair has long since switched to samsung and hynix.

ryuji said:
if the board doesnt do stock fsb.. why didnt you rma it :confused:

well, motherboard manufacturers have this funny habit of NOT accepting motherboards coated in conformal coating.

i peltier cool, so it's not like the stuff is really optional.

Back