Building my first PC

twonunpackmule

[H]ard|Gawd
I will be building my first PC, very soon and would like some help on the config. I will mainly be using it for Gaming and Video Editing.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400 = $568

A8N-SLI Premium - $160

WD Caviar SE16 250gb - $122

OCZ Titanium 2GB (2 x 1GB) - $305

GeForce 7800 GTX - $475

X Fi Fatal1ty Soundcard - $279

Sony FW900 - $400

Seasonic S12-600 - $159

Lite-On 16x DVD+RW Drive - $50

Cd Burner - $20

Mouse and Key Board - $120

Logictech z5500 - $237

Am I forgetting anything?

Forgetting? I don't think so.

Wasting? Yes.

1. OCZ Titanium RAM is for servers that demand 100% uptime. Judging by the rest of your parts, you're not running a server. Get the OCZ Platinum kit.

2. Why an SLI board with no SLI? Unless you plan to add another GTX in there, by which point there will be bigger and better single cards.

3. AFAIK, the average user won't be able to tell the difference between an Audigy 2 and an X-Fi. Are you a real audiophile? If not, I'd reconsider that.

:)

I am going to Film School soon and I want something that will last me a few years. I plan on going SLI very soon, like in a month or so but I just need one to get started, as I need to get a new monitor first. I am going all out, as I will have a very limited cash flow in like three months, which will last for two years. I want to be able to at least enjoy PC gaming for that amount of time, even if I can't max everything out.

Answer to the X-FI... I plan on using it for some mild home recordings and audio manipulation. I figure I just get the lastest greatest, so I won't have to upgrade as soon.

I'd say with that rig you should expect to run games with MAX settings for at least 2 years. (especially with SLI)
By that time you will be drooling over the new vid cards anyway. :)

Back