building new computer after 2 years out of the CPU loop. help me get back in!

cyr0n_k0r

Supreme [H]ardness
It's been a while since I've built a computer and now want to dive back in and get a nice (2nd or so generation) computer.

Problem is.. all this 64bit dual core crap came out while I was out of the loop so now I am all confused on what I want/need.

Basically I looked for a standard athlon cpu but could only find up to 2.4ghz.

If I go and get one of these new a64's do I HAVE to install windows 64bit? and if I do.. I plan to use this as a gaming AND htpc.. so will all that work nicely with windows 64?

What does you guys reccommend for a 2nd or even 3rd generation cpu. Im looking to spend a max of about ~$200 on the CPU.

There is no need to upgrade to the 64-bit version of Windows.. An Athlon64 chip will run perfectly fine in the 32-bit environment.. Keep in mind the Athlon64 is not going to fit in your current board.. Are you going to build an all new PC ?? Also.. You will not be able to get a Dual Core processor for $200.. What is the main function for the machine ?

-the dual core A64s only do up to 2.4, with the FX-60 topping out at 2.6.

-you don't have to install x64 if you get an athlon 64. XP SP2 will work just fine.

-if you're going to be using your machine as a HTPC in addition to gaming, i'd probably stick with SP2.

-the cheapest X2 is the 3800+, but it can usually be overclocked to 4800+ speeds and beyond.

ScotteusMaximus said:
-the cheapest X2 is the 3800+, but it can usually be overclocked to 4800+ speeds and beyond.

The X2 3800+ have 512mb of cache, does the performance the same as the 4800 (after overclocked) since the 4800 have 1mb of cache?

I am thinking about an X2 but want to know more about them.

Will having the dual core speed up winrar extracting? I unrar and extract large (5GB - 10GB) rar archives and want a cpu that can keep up with that.

(Ill also have 2GB of ram) so just wondering what the best cpu for the task would be.

Will the dual core speed up in any way recording and play back of TV? which will be one of the primary purposes of the system.

another big question I have is.. what kind of things do I need to look for in a motherboard to make sure that it will be compatiable with an X2 processor?

Back