Building new file server, best ways to transfer files over network

kmS

Limp Gawd
Hey guys sorry in advance for the sort of noobie questions, never built a server before. My new file server will be running XP, however every other computer accessing it will be using Vista, I initially just wanted to set up for sharing files over the network through Network in Vista (or my Network places in XP), however after reading about a lot of issues people were having file transfers back and forth between the two operating systems I started to want to look elsewhere. I was thinking my alternatives would be some sort of VPN for file transfer, or some form of remote control software using its file transfer features. However what I use now (Teamviewer 3) requires the user ID and pass to be entered everytime which could be done but that's tedious considering as of now I don't have a monitor for the file server. Is there some other remote control utility to handle what I need? Should I go for maybe a FTP client instead? I just wanted your guy's input thanks in advance.

You are waaay over complicating this. If this is for your home do the following:

On your file server install your OS of choice, perferably server-class (Win2k3, Win 2k8, *NIX, etc) Create the shares for you files/folders. Then browse to them from the vista machines using: \\<servername>\share or just create a mapped drive if you like. There is absolutely no need for anything more than that. No VPN, FTP, RDP, etc... at all.

If this is for a business you'll need to build something probably a bit more robust.

maybe he has to separate the space by user?

Are you running a domain? I don't know much about windows, but it has that roaming profile thing (or something). Not on a standard XP setup though.

if its a home setup, just share folders on the server and set local mounts on the clients.

As StarTrek4U said, you're over-complicating things...

You can set up an old XP box to act as a basic file server... (Note that XP Pro is much better because you don't have to screw with XP Home "simple file sharing" junk...) The most difficult thing is just making sure you set up user accounts on the "server" to match your user accountts on your desktops... Otherwise XP will talk to Vista just fine...

I did this for years because my servers always turned into playgrounds, but my old desktop was the perfect place to store my junk files... I finally replaced my old desktop with Windows Home Server (and I won't turn that into a playground)... I highly recommend Windows Home Server if you're not averse to spending a few bucks...

I 2nd jpochedl with the Windows Home Server. You already have the hardware, if you can afford the OS it'll bring a lot to the table which you might want.

redundancy is a nice feature,
nightly backups of all the PCs
remote access
I could go on and on.

It'll run on pretty low hardware, you don't need a lot of cpu or ram.
Give it a look.

Back