Building new system to overclock, need parts advice

I'm building my first Core 2 system and I need some help picking out parts to maximize the overclock i get from this one.

I'm getting the E6300 and 1GB of OCZ Gold (unless better suggestions arise). I will be getting 2x250GB Seagate Baracuda Sata II drives. It will all be going into an Antec P180. It will be powered by a 550W PSU from Antec.

I need to know what a good motherboard is for this processor. I know a lot about the processor itself, but as for motherboards, and intel...I'm completely clueless. I would like to know what people are using and the results they are getting so I can get a feel for a good brand with the LGA775 sockets. Right now for price reference sake, I'm using the ASUS P5ND2-SLI, but again I say its only for a price reference unless it gets recommended.

I have a $900 budget also

get the DS3 mobo.

as for the ram i suggest getting 2gb. newegg have a crucial ddr 667 3-3-3-12 for $230 shipped.

here

Gigabyte GA_965P_DS3 thats the mobo u want

also get 2g GSKILL set of RAM.....

Dont know what u will be using the PC for but 2G is required these days as 1.4g is used up by most of the latest games etc...

Will help also if you will be video editing...

You havent mentioned a cpu cooler? I would recommend a scynthe ninja or better still WATER :)

thirding the DS3, that thing is insane with updated BIOSes.

also, the gSkill ram is a good recommendation, I use it as well. 2 gigs for 160 ish.

Also, on the PSU. I"m not sure which model Antec you're considering, but I"ve heard some rather iffy reviews on some of their latest offerings. I"d consider something more solid, perhaps an Enermax Liberty or one of the Sunbeam nuuvos?

2gb of ram, DS3 motherboard, but do NOT get OCZ ram.

Apparently the revision 2 ocz ram works ok, but I'm so fed up with my XTC crap...

^^ wtf, thats an amazing price. I wonder if that is just online or in store as well because if its in store it would be a hell of a lot easier for me to just go to the store down the street and get it :).

The only reason i was considering getting 1GB of RAM is i have a $900 budget and When I add it up to 2GB it gets pushed over my budget with Shipping. Right now its at $880 shipped.

However, If i get that set that was posted above, im pretty sure that I can get 2GB and a different PSU and still be ok. :) thanks guys.

::EDIT::
ew, nevermind on that RAM, first off it has a rebate, which Fry's is notorious for not keeping their word on. Secondly, the deal only goes until tomorrow and I have no money for another 2 weeks. :(
though 200 for that RAM still beats out Newegg, so ill go check in store and see if they have it at the $200 price when the time comes.

EW ::EDIT:: again
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets. straight from newegg.com

1.8v ddr2 800? does that even exist?

If you're really on a budget, be aware that technically, all you need to run that chip at stock speeds is ddr2 533. 266 * 7 multi = 1.8ghz. that should save you some cash.

I'm on a "budget" i should say :p, its more like i know what i want, and im going to overclock the living jeebus out of this thing so i need the best i can get for how much i have, not necessarily a budget per say.

kill4killin said:
I'm on a "budget" i should say :p, its more like i know what i want, and im going to overclock the living jeebus out of this thing so i need the best i can get for how much i have, not necessarily a budget per say.

go to the intel cpu forum and look at the overclock database for Conroes which details the OC, board, cooling, and memory used for each overclock.

Your problem is going to be the ram your highest multiplier with the 6300 is 7 that means 400 FSB to reach 2.8GHz etc etc. you can do the math.

Gigabyte boards have at the lowest a 2:1 memory divider (really 1:1 in practice) and that means to get to 2.8GHz you will have to run at 400 FSB with a 800MHz memory speed. I dont know about the asus and others, you had best download the manuals and check it out. I like the Gigabytes but you had better get PC6400 or better if you really intend to overclock the
living jeebus
out of it.

Acutally you would probally be much better off springing for the 6400 with a mulitplier of 8 which would reduce the speed the memory would have to work at to reach a high overclock. The $40 extra you spend on the processor will allow you to reach max overclock with memory costing $100 less than with the 6300. If there are boards out there with memory dividers less than 1:1 that would work too.

Many of these boards have trouble booting with memory that requires high voltage. 1.8V is the JDEC standard. While bios updates have helped solve this problem, it is still out there and I strongly suggest you verify that the ram you choose is confirmed to boot with whatever board you select.

Actually, i have myself on notify with newegg.com for some G.Skill DDR2-800 which is about $150 where as the Corsair DDR2-675 that I was looking at was at least $200. The G.Skill also had a note that it was specifically for the Intel motherboards, so i think I'm good there.

I am going with the E6300 instead of the E6400 because frankly i have heard of less people getting good clocks with it as opposed to the E6300.

I am also going to start out doing a stock cooling OC because frankly i can't afford a good cooler right now (will get the inifinity after I get the money :p ). I will be interested to see what i can get with that before i get the infinity for it.

Back