Building new system

jefe

n00b
I'm currently using a p4 1.6 (OC to 2.1), Gforce 4400 ti, 784MB DDR, so my system is, well, lacking to say the least. I think I built it early 2002. Anyway, I've done my research, and here's what I've got. Just wanting to make sure I haven't screwed up anything major.

Intel® Core 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Sapphire Radeon X1900 XT PCI Express 512MB
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB Serial ATA 10,000RPM
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400PRO 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 ProSeries Memory
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-520HX 50W Power Supply Retail

Came to a total of $1545. I'll just use my existing case, burner/dvd, monitor, etc. A little more than what I was wanting originally, but I think this will give me longer legs on this system than if I go a little lower, since obviously I don't upgrade often.

So a couple questions. Will I really notice a difference with the SATA drive over a ATA 100 drive at 7200rpm? That's $200 I could save and possibly upgrade later if I wouldn't notice a big difference. Anything else you see I should do differently? This is mostly a gaming machine.

Thanks for all the advice I've already gotten from this forum and anything to come.

jefe said:
Will I really notice a difference with the SATA drive over a ATA 100 drive at 7200rpm? That's $200 I could save and possibly upgrade later if I wouldn't notice a big difference.
Yes, you will notice a big difference, especially with a raptor. I still think the raptor is too expensive. I'd suggest goin with the Seagate 7200.10 320GB instead... its cheaper and pretty damn fast. If you want raptor-like performance without the price premium, there's always RAID0 and $55 160GB drives :D

I agree, if you don't need the P5W DH, go with a much cheaper board (like the MSI 975X Platinum or GA-965P-DS3... or even the GA-965P-S3 or MSI P965 Neo-F).

I will be OCing. I won't need the WiFi, but read the P5W OCs on the 6600s a lot better than the P5B. I went with the Asus because, well, I seem to have bad karma with non-Asus MBs. EVERY non-Asus system I've built has had issues and I've never had one with any of the Asus systems I've built. I've tried multiple times and I've finally given into my bad voodoo and just always go Asus now.

jefe said:
I will be OCing. I won't need the WiFi, but read the P5W OCs on the 6600s a lot better than the P5B. I went with the Asus because, well, I seem to have bad karma with non-Asus MBs. EVERY non-Asus system I've built has had issues and I've never had one with any of the Asus systems I've built. I've tried multiple times and I've finally given into my bad voodoo and just always go Asus now.
It's self fulfilling prophecy. I have almost all brands of components and theres not one brand that... nm, ECS sux, lol. But other than that, I'm sure any of the other major brand boards will work fine. However, with your luck and mentality, you'll probably get the one thats DOA, lol. Unless you plan on extreme overclocking, any other 975x board will OC just fine.

You're right it is. And when I ever suggest hardware to people I tell them Asus and then I explain it's like Coke vs Pepsi or something, you just get a brand you like but the other is fine too.

I've built systems with Abit, MSI, ECS, and something else, and they all were either DOA or had major issues. Maybe I'll tempt fate again and go with something else. Thanks for the advice.

:D

If you want ASUS, you can just go with a variant of the P5B, which is assuredly much cheaper.

Back