Building personal site, is there an EASY program to use?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there an easy to learn program I can use to build a basic site? I know nothing about HTML, and other codes, just looking for something basic to get the job done. IS there maybe a free download of something. Does microsoft FrontPage do what im looking for?

Yes Frontpage is what you're looking for. You simply drag and drop items onto a page. Almost like drawing a picture if you will. Once you've completed a page, you'll have to upload it to the web server or if you set up Frontpage properly, it will upload it for you

oh god, PLEASE, PLEASE don't use FrontPage! Microsoft Expression is far better.

also a nice, simple and free web editor is NVU, this is probably the best solution for someone who just needs to get a web page up.

there are tons of free CMS out there one that comes to mind is Joomla which is very easy to work with and has plenty of free skins :)

iWeb is super easy if your on a mac......theres also one made by mozilla, can't remember what its called though.

maw said:

also a nice, simple and free web editor is NVU, this is probably the best solution for someone who just needs to get a web page up.

NVU is definitely preferable over FP. However, by default, NVU uses a HTML 4.01 transitional doctype *without* the dtd URI. This causes browsers to render in Quirks mode, which can cause major rendering differences across browsers.

maw said:

Sorry, I've never personally used FrontPage (notepad FTW), but why is everyone against it?

Sorry, I've never personally used FrontPage (notepad FTW), but why is everyone against it?

I haven't used it personally in many years, but most of the time, you know a FrontPage site when you see it. I'm not sure if it's necessarily hard to make a "professional" looking site with it, but many of the sites made with it look like crap :).

To look at it a different way, Microsoft has discontinued it. How often does *that* happen with "good" software?

- it generates bloated, non-standard, proprietary code that usually only renders properly in IE and can be a nightmare to decipher if, god forbid, you need to go in and manually change anything.
- its built-in "templates" are so overused they go beyond cliche. one can spot a FrontPage site form a mile away and it just screams amateur hour.

Why don't you just bite the bullet and go to http://www.w3schools.com and just teach yourself how to make good code that isn't bloated and is compliant with all browsers. Thats just my opinion.
well, sometimes people just need to get something up in a hurry and don't have the time nor the inclination to pursue web development in detail. NVU is perfect for someone in that situation.

Do you have a host yet? Check with your host if you do. A few have easy web site builders. I know 1and1 has a nice one with a wide variety of templates and customization options, all with a point and click interface.

if time is a factor, then you should look into some webhosts that offer out-of-the-box templates that you can customize. otherwise, play with some freebies WYSIWYG editors from sourceforge.net or download.com.

To look at it a different way, Microsoft has discontinued it. How often does *that* happen with "good" software?
Wish I could say that was completely true. MS's SharePoint portal app uses FrontPage to do the editing to it's template. So FP is mostly out of the picture, but not completely dead yet ... someday soon, hopefully :rolleyes:

I haven't used it personally in many years, but most of the time, you know a FrontPage site when you see it. I'm not sure if it's necessarily hard to make a "professional" looking site with it, but many of the sites made with it look like crap :).

- it generates bloated, non-standard, proprietary code that usually only renders properly in IE and can be a nightmare to decipher if, god forbid, you need to go in and manually change anything.
- its built-in "templates" are so overused they go beyond cliche. one can spot a FrontPage site form a mile away and it just screams amateur hour.

Forget about Frontpage then ;)

Back