Building w/BadAxe2 - what did I miss (no video/boot probs)

Down8

2[H]4U
Everytrhing is known to work, having just been pulled from a former system (w/AsRock VSTA).

Pieces:
E6300 @ stock settings, w/Tower112
2GB PQI DDR2-667 @ stock settings
2x SATA HDDs
DVDRW
500W SmartPower
6600GT PCIe
LCD w/DVI

I actually tested everything outside the case first, and it was working fine.I installed Vista Business, and most of my drivers. Put it in the case, and now it doesn't work. it doesn't seem to be a shorting problem, b/c everything comes on - just no video. However, the DVD won't eject, so it may not even be making it to POST. I can here HDDs spin, and all fans come on, but get "No Signal" from LCD.

Does it stil sound like a shorting problem, given it worked outside the case? During the previous build I did have a shorting issue on an extra standoff, but there are no extras this time, and all the fans/lights stay on. Previously, they would just pop on for a second, then immediately die.

I've reseated the video card, and put the Tower112 on before installing the mobo, so it hasn't moved. I've unplugged DVDRW, other junk, and still nothing on the screen.

Help?

-bZj

That's on the agenda, but prob won't happen until Thurs. Have to go to bed now, and have to (er, want to) propose on V-Day, tomorrow.

To add: HDD activity ligth, and DVD LED stay solid anytime the machine is 'on,' but ketboard doesn't respond to CAPS lock, and the like.

-bZj

How long are you letting it POST? I found the BX2 takes quite a while to post especiallly if you have the Secondary SATA enabled.

I can let it go for any amount of time, with no change. I don't think I disabled the Marvell controller, but I know I'm not using it. It didn't take this long to boot before I put it in the case.

-bZj

Start from scratch.
Remove all the components out of the case and start from the bottom up.
Line up the Motherboard with the Motherboard Tray and make sure you don't have any extra motherboard stand-offs installed on the tray.
Then begin by installing the Motherboard First, Followed by the PSU.
Next Install the CPU and Memory.
Install Video Card Next.
Before testing make sure all power connectors, fans, switches etc... are connected properly to case/psu/cpu/video card
Then test to see if the machine posts. If it posts then continue by installing the CD/DVD/Hard Drives and anything else extra such Sound Cards, Fans, Lighting.
Then Test again to make sure all powers up.
If you get a sucess at this point you need to then proceed to install the Windows/Sofware.
DO NOT OC until you have a basic working system(This is a given which you probably know)

SoulMan901

Yeah, hadn't touched any clocks, other than setting them to defaults.

I pulled it all apart, and it worked. Then I put it back in, and it didn't work. Then it did, then didn't.

At this point, I get 1 of 2 responses from the sytem:
A) with only CPU/RAM in the mobo, if I power it on, it will give the 3 beep "no memory" code.
B) with RAM in, I get a pulsating of the power/lights/fans - on/off, on/off.

So, RAM problem, right? I put it all back in the AsRock, and boots fine. And, it ran fine for a couple days while being put together. Even got hit with TAT for a few hours, to see how my new cooling was working (great, BTW - 23 idle min/43 load max).

I'm a little stumped. I know it's not the CPU, the VGA, grounding issues or power issues (500W should be plenty for a minimal system, even today). The RAM could be the issue, I guess, but it worked initially, and works still in the other mobo. I don't have any other DDR2 to test with.

Is it time to call intel, or start shopping for RAM?

-bZj

Kinda seems like it could either be your mobo or your case. The only common element between working and not working is when it is installed in the case, correct? That would make me think the board is grounding out somewhere (the most likely option, to me), or something on the mobo was soldered poorly and tightening the board to the case causes some solder crack to separate.

If I were in your shoes I would likely try and install my mobo in the case with the minimum number of standoffs I could (three) and see if it works. If it didn't then I would try and install it with three standoffs in different locations.

Kinda seems like it could either be your mobo or your case. The only common element between working and not working is when it is installed in the case, correct? That would make me think the board is grounding out somewhere (the most likely option, to me), or something on the mobo was soldered poorly and tightening the board to the case causes some solder crack to separate.

If I were in your shoes I would likely try and install my mobo in the case with the minimum number of standoffs I could (three) and see if it works. If it didn't then I would try and install it with three standoffs in different locations.
No, I get the pulsing issues even when it's outside the case now. :(

I thought it was the Tower112 backplate grounding out, but I changed that, then went so far as to install the stock fan. Same pulsing issues, in or out of the case.

Stumped,
-bZj

I had exactly the same problem with my BadAxe2. Lights came on, drives spin up, but no video. It powered up out of the case the first time, then failed to do so when I took it out the 2nd time.

I eventually RMAed it back to NewEgg and received a replacement in under a week. The replacement runs like a dream.

I suspect it's a grounding issue or a loose solder joint. RMA it if you can.

How did your proposal go?

Also, what's the status on your board? I'm thinking about getting this...

Back