Built first loop, having problem with bubbles.

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
I just finished building my first loop and I am having a problem with the pump creating bubbles and/or cavitating. It is a pump/res combo: http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-photon-170-reservoirpump-combo

The tube is mounted vertical with the pump at the bottom. When I look at the outbound tube, I see lots of small bubbles coming out which is putting air pockets in my loop. I see that there is plenty of water in the inbound tube, so it isn't being starved of water. There is plenty of water in the res as well.

Not to mention with the pump making all those bubbles, it makes a lot of noise.

make sure you fill it. Some times, you must fill while pump is running.

Also, rock the Case back and forth (with everything closed) to help all bubbles through.

Then open and fill more, while running pump.

MOST Important, there should be a tube going down from res filling port down and below water level. Like this. If you don't do like this, the "falling" water will force down more bubbles and the pump will suck them in and push through loop.

Welcome to the world of water

I have filled the res to the top, so I don't see how the pump should be started of water. I have titled my case back in forth many times and have gotten a lot of the air out, but the pump is still generating bubbles. Here is my layout.

7DUX3NM.jpg

I see where your problem lies.

I would say that the tube inside the res is too long. You see, the air bubbles are just circulating in your loop, because they are not given a chance to rise in the res.

If you have a variable pump, try lowering it to the lowest setting, giving the bubbles a chance to escape.

Worse case, you might need to cut the tube

Cut what tube? That one in the center of the res? I think that is a hard plastic in there and the res is not designed to be opened.

Ok, then you might need to start and turn off pump many times. That's what I would do. It lets a few bubbles set at the top of the res each time.

I think that design on the res is pretty weird, but who am I to judge. They probably spent a lot on R&D.

When I did mine, I set my tower on its side for about 5 mins, it helped a lot with getting the bubbles out, and I ran it at vairble speeds like others have suggested. To get the few reamining (always a few hard ones) just tilted it back and forth and side to side.

Add a fill port tube to the top of your reservoir and run it to the top of the case where it can be mounted. Fill it there and bump pump for a few seconds till reservoir is almost empty then fill up. Repeat and purge the air bubbles out till there is no more. Do this at low rpm and once air bubbles are gone you can increase rpm flow rate.

Just let it run for a while, honestly. D5's are great at holding bubbles, it took mine about 2 days to work out all the little ones.

Leave that bleed screw off the top of the res for 2-3 days, problem will fix itself. Nothing wrong with your tubing runs other than the amount of slack in them, but a lot of people do this to have room to work with.

I think I was just being a bit impatient. I left it running and took a shower and nap. By the time I got back it was not blowing tons of bubbles and it quietened down a lot. R9 290 temp is wayyy down too. The GPU idles at 32C.

I see where your problem lies.

I would say that the tube inside the res is too long. You see, the air bubbles are just circulating in your loop, because they are not given a chance to rise in the res.

If you have a variable pump, try lowering it to the lowest setting, giving the bubbles a chance to escape.

Worse case, you might need to cut the tube

This is true for Bitspower reservoirs but this one has middle part for illumination purposes only.

As he said he have had some rest air issues in system and removing fine bubbles from system takes time. Bleeding air from radiators mounted horizontally can be pain in the lower back. Also sometimes micro bubbles are hanging on in bends in hoses. Moving a case around and turning pump on and off or regulating speed from minimum to maximum accelerates bleeding process.

Back