Bulldozer supports SLI

What's even better is your CPU and motherboard selection won't limit your graphics choices as in the past.

this is good news for amd. now we need to see some benches. got any Dan_D?

that really surprises me. So amd is actually going to pay for a sli license???

that really surprises me. So amd is actually going to pay for a sli license???
AMD isn't paying for it, the board partners will be the ones who foot the cost (and by extension, the consumer of course)

SLI hack. Works well with my Crosshair IV Formula and two GTX 470's. I'm not going to pay extra for an SLI certified motherboard when I can get the same for less. nVidia really needs to do away with those stupid licensing fees.

I'm feeling very optimistic about Bulldozer. For mobo makers and Nvidia to jump on board, this thing must really be a performer. Of course we will have to wait for Kyle and the crew for the benches.:D

The other reason for allowing it is that nVidia would no longer have any chipsets that can support top-end AMD processors. The Phenom II line still has 980a and 750a chipsets.

AMD didn't really need this. This is simply Nvidia needing a new way to continue gouging OEMs for $35 per/mobo (and by proxy uneducated consumers). They can't force OEMs (except EVGA who is in bed with Nvidia anyways) to buy nF200 with "special secret SLI technologies" anymore because Intel chipsets support it natively and SLI can be easily enabled with a simple patch on AMD platforms anyways.

These are the last death throes of Nvidia's chipset division. If I were an OEM I'd just continue using the Intel chipsets since they can support both SLI/Crossfire anyways and unofficially release patches to enable SLI on AMD motherboards like we have been using for the past few years.

Last edited:
Thought it was $5 per, although the last time I heard was a least a year or two ago

$5 is just to get licensed to use your own solution or did you really think the nF200 came free with that $5 price tag? Before Intel supported SLI natively on their chipsets this was the reality OEMs faced.

Last edited:
If this is true and not some shitty April Fools joke, it should be good. NVIDIA was stupid enough not to license SLI on AMD chipsets in the first place, I guess they were losing sales, by doing this they should see higher sales. And since they left the chipset market, I guess by enabling SLI on AMD was the only option.

Back