burning TV stuff onto a DVD

n00btard

Gawd
so... my co-worker approached me at work today, with a puzzling question:

She can record crap from her TV to her PC through a TV tuner, but she can`t burn it onto DVDs. However, the media can still be accessed on the hard drive.

The problem is, this is Japan: It`s most likely one of those SFF-glued-to-the-back-of-a-display type PCs with craploads of proprietary parts, so I have no idea what hardware she has... and chances are, she doesn`t either. The DVDs also were from a freebie pack she got when she purchased her PC.
It`s just normal TV stuff she`s recording, so I highly doubt that it`s some sort of a copyright protection measure, especially when she got as far as recording the stuff onto an HDD.

Help!

well a lot more research is needed on your part.

a: what is her capture card capturing to. as in format.

dvd-r are NOT dvd movies. just cause it says dvd doesnt mean u can slap what ever files u have on them and they will launch in a dvd player. sorry doesnt work that way.

Probably captures to wmv. avi which is divx or xvid or a combination of thos. maybe even vcd/svcd.

I do highly doubt her cap card is capturing to an iso that can be burnt as a dvd video file

visit www.doom9.com for some usefull info.

basicly u need to convert your divx (or what ever format she has) up to vcd/svcd or dvd files..

if you want to burn to a dvd to play on a dvd player it'll need to be a VCD, MPEG-2 DVD, or DIVX.

some players you can cop at wal mart do divx. she'll prob. need to endoce the dvd's to mpeg-2 and pcm or whatever the audio spec is to be able to play on a dvd player.

if you just want to trasnfer from computer to computer it can be any codec.

The easiest way would be to get her a copy of Nero and use Vision Express. It'll create a dvd that can play on standalones from all of the popular types of video files (avi, mpeg1/2 etc.) It does reencode the whole file, which takes some time and loses a bit of quality, but is the easiest program I've seen for noobies to use.

IanG said:
The easiest way would be to get her a copy of Nero and use Vision Express. It'll create a dvd that can play on standalones from all of the popular types of video files (avi, mpeg1/2 etc.) It does reencode the whole file, which takes some time and loses a bit of quality, but is the easiest program I've seen for noobies to use.

what are the more advanced options that don't lose quality? i'd like to rip a bunch of TV episodes from avi to a dvd player friendly format.

both avi and mpeg-2 are compressed. avi is just a wrapper I think.

you'll have to use mpeg-2 for dvd. you don't really have any other options other than trying to find a divx dvd player.

zero_vertical said:
what are the more advanced options that don't lose quality? i'd like to rip a bunch of TV episodes from avi to a dvd player friendly format.
If you 'record' using an mpeg2-dvd compatible profile (or even a vcd or svcd compatible one) you can create a regular dvd fairly easily - you just need to create a menu and the file structure. If you're recording to a non-standard profile (video/audio bitrate not in spec or wierd resolution) you'll need to reencode to a dvd standard.

I think vision express makes you reencode even if your source files are dvd-spec. I don't know which software would just create the appropriate disk structure/menu as I've never tried to burn stuff. doom9.org or vcdhelp.com should have some guides though.

I use cucusoft avi - dvd convertor to create and merge files into dvd, vcd or mpeg formats. Also if she is using Media center, there is an option built in to burn what you have recorded.

+1 for Nero Vision.. I've burned EVERYTHING I could throw at it and it works in every dvd player I've tried. Hell, it even does PAL-->NTSC conversion encoding flawless and burns to dvd. I've done mpg-->dvd, PAL-->NTSC, wmv-->dvd, avi-->dvd, and so on. Its really easy and you can setup some nice root title menu's as well.

w1retap said:
+1 for Nero Vision.. I've burned EVERYTHING I could throw at it and it works in every dvd player I've tried. Hell, it even does PAL-->NTSC conversion encoding flawless and burns to dvd. I've done mpg-->dvd, PAL-->NTSC, wmv-->dvd, avi-->dvd, and so on. Its really easy and you can setup some nice root title menu's as well.

very helpful. thank you.

zv

Okay, from further questions I asked her, it`s probably a file type issue. I`ll try to find Nero for her, along with the instructions.

Back