Buy 680i Now Or Wait For BearLake & DDR3 ?

680i Or BearLake & DDR3

• Buy 680I Now

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • Wait For BearLake/DDR3

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
Depends if you need a new system soon i guess, if you do need the system soon i see no reason in waiting, 800mhz ddr3 is gonna be like ddr2 anyway, only it will consume a little less power and be more expensive.
Plus theres alway the old argument: if you wait for bearlake & ddr3 then by the time that is out, something newer will be schedualed for release (pcie 2?) and then you wait for that, and basically you spend all your time waiting and you never get anything.

on the other hand, if you dont need a new system yet, then you can wait and get one of those bearlakes as you will be future proofing against ddr3 (for when it gets real fast.)

The 680i BIOS is only starting to mature, think how long you'll have to wait for a BearLake BIOS that works. Waiting and waiting and waiting is pointless. The first BearLake boards aren't even going to support PCI-e 2.0 anyway, so you'll have to wait even longer if you want that new technology. I say get the 680i.

I would get the 680i now. It's shaping up to be a stellar platform with the BIOS getting mature and the stability evening out. Mine has been solid as a rock since I RMA'ed my release work board and got a new one with the latest BIOS. Hasn't even so much as hiccuped at me. If you need to build a new system now, grab a 680i system. To be honest, DDR3 and PCI-e 2.0 are so far away from being fully utilized, I am not too worried about them yet. DDR2 and PCI-e 1.0 still have some life left in them. The market isn't fully ready to replace them yet.

680i sucks ass. even with the latest bios released 2 weeks ago, both my 680i boards were stinking turds. i hate 680i more than i hate that one person on the bus who always is yakking away at high volume on their cell phone. oh, the bus is loud that must mean i have to SPEAK UP BECAUSE CELL PHONES CERTAINLY HAVE NO SOUND ISOLATION CAPABILITIES OR ANYTHING. DO YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE?? OKAY! I STILL HAVE THAT RASH AND NOW IT"S ITCHY AND THERE"S THIS GOOEY DISCHARGE OH WELL> HOW ARE THE KIDS!?!

680i sucks ass. even with the latest bios released 2 weeks ago, both my 680i boards were stinking turds. i hate 680i more than i hate that one person on the bus who always is yakking away at high volume on their cell phone. oh, the bus is loud that must mean i have to SPEAK UP BECAUSE CELL PHONES CERTAINLY HAVE NO SOUND ISOLATION CAPABILITIES OR ANYTHING. DO YOU WANT TO HEAR ABOUT MY PERSONAL LIFE?? OKAY! I STILL HAVE THAT RASH AND NOW IT"S ITCHY AND THERE"S THIS GOOEY DISCHARGE OH WELL> HOW ARE THE KIDS!?!

Tell us how you really feel.

Dude you got issues, try group therapy :D

I feel the 680i boards are coming along. I havn't budged to get one yet as I'm not in no rush. Waiting to see what else brews up before jumping the gun. Points at the crappy delays of the ATI/AMD GPU solutions for my long wait of wanting to build a new system. By the time those cards yet, we may catch wind of newer boards in the works & the 680i solution should be topp notch.

I agree, you can wait and wait and wait, Bearlake is about a year away at least, that is if, there are no delays. I will probably buy 680, but I wont be building my system till spring or early summer, so I jus have to see what is out than. Waiting is good, but only for so long, ppl jus have to realize that.

Back