Buy an AMD CPU get a Motherboard for free @ Microcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does CompUSA pricematch? MicroCenter is like 30 miles from me, CompUSA is 1 mile.

Does CompUSA pricematch? MicroCenter is like 30 miles from me, CompUSA is 1 mile.

Microcenter kills itself on proc prices, most companies I know won't match their prices simply because of this. Worth a try though!

Says Available for In-Store pickup only. Would gladly grab the X3 and the motherboard otherwise :(

Yep, I missed that. :(

Page won't even allow you to add the motherboard to your cart until you've chosen a pickup location.

<MAJOR EDIT> Just realized that there is a MicroCenter in Boston (about an hour drive from me).... hmmmmmmmmmm

Would one of these combos be a good base to make a media center that could do Blu Ray and 1080p form the harddrive with a gts250 type card?

Stores are already built in Florida, just need to change out the old circuit city sign. lol

TigerDirect (SystemMax) bought CircuitCity. They just haven't reopened them like they did with CompUSA stores.

Would one of these combos be a good base to make a media center that could do Blu Ray and 1080p form the harddrive with a gts250 type card?
Yes.

*HTPC Builders*
Something to keep in mind is that the HDMI out on those ATI integrated chipsets do not do multichannel audio without an application that passes through an already encoded multichannel signal. You will only get 2 channel PCM via HDMI. So you're looking at a multichannel audio capable video card or HDMI with another cable(s) for audio.

I hope those of you that buy this have better luck than I did with this board.

It was a fine board for about 9 months. Then the whole system started acting strangely. Applications would crash out of nowhere (system was running at stock speeds). So I looked to reinstall windows and see if a fresh start would help out. Then it became apparent the issue was memory related. Dual channel-mode would totally flub up the system. Running 1 stick of RAM did the trick. However, the system was still unstable. After months of trying new BIOS'es and different memory configurations, I gave up on this mobo and threw it in the trash. A BIOSTAR 780G board fixed all my problems.

Doing some checking around, It's clear I'm not the only one to have these issues with the mobo. But, that said, there also seem to be plenty of people out there who are running them OK.

Absolutely.

From my experience thus far, it doesn't take a lot of hardware to run BluRay.
I've built minimal systems (like single-core 939, DDR1, and GF8600) and had EXCELLENT BluRay playback with very little CPU usage.
What typically suffers on a low-end machine is playback of Standard DVD's on a 1080p TV.
The upscaling process seems to take a lot more resources than just outputting HD-DVD onto an HDTV.

I guess I'm still a bit confused as to why everyone thinks that BluRay takes a monster machine to play???

Two things

1) This board can unlock cores
2) Even though it has hdmi output, it can not decode hd content for it has the ati 3000, not the ati HD3200.

Besides that extremely hot deal.

I got my 555 10 days ago, but since its within 30 days, they are letting me get one. WooHoo.

Just got back, my friend had bought a 555 40days ago, and they let him get one for free too.

These were sold out at the St. Davids/Philadelphia store by 1:30pm yesterday.

I had a hell of a time buying one online. When I first read the email @ 8am they had 20 motherboards in stock. I tried ordering them from 10-1pm finally before their site would take my credit card!!! I was slowing watching the in stock number dwindle the whole time.

i forgot to mention...

mine came with a $10 rebate on the board. Essentially you buy the processor and they pay you to take the board off their hands lol.

i forgot to mention...

mine came with a $10 rebate on the board. Essentially you buy the processor and they pay you to take the board off their hands lol.

No, the board cost $10, and has a $10 MIR.

How do they not have a store in NYC. Ugh.
What, Long Island not close enough for ya?!? J/K I'm feeling the pain too. I've taken the drive out there in the past for some pretty incredible deals but it's a hassle.

Can any of those CPUs unlock?

The 720 and 555 can unlock. Those 2 unlockable processors are also great processors on their own. As are the x4 630 and x4 965.

You can always get the processor and motherboard you do really want, and then combine this free motherboard and that ewiz AMD 5000+ processor for a build for a family member or such. The AMD 5000+ is an unlockable processor but it isn't a sure thing.

The 720 and 555 can unlock. Those 2 unlockable processors are also great processors on their own. As are the x4 630 and x4 965.

You can always get the processor and motherboard you do really want, and then combine this free motherboard and that ewiz AMD 5000+ processor for a build for a family member or such. The AMD 5000+ is an unlockable processor but it isn't a sure thing.
so if both of those can unlock, wouldn't it make more sense to get the 720?

so if both of those can unlock, wouldn't it make more sense to get the 720?
720 is an older stepping C2 vs 555 which is C3 and 550 which is C2
720 is 2.8 ghz vs 555 which is 3.2 ghz
720 is guaranteed 3 cores vs guaranteed 2 cores with the 555

Thanks for the info.

I just realized though that my MC reports being OOS on the mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back