Buy Gamecube or wait for Revolution?

Corporal79

Gawd
I was at best buy yesterday and saw that Gamecube is only $99, I'm gonna guess it's been that way for sometime but I just noticed. Everyone raves about RE4 and I want to play it!. I'd like an xbox 360 but I can wait until they become more readily available so something to tide me over would be nice. Is it worth getting one at this point or should i hold out for the revolution as well which I heard will play gamecube games?. If it's worth it I'll pick it up today!

I was on monstercables.com and it shows only an s-video cable is there no component hookup for the gamecube?

I've also seen some screenshots for the new Zelda which looks great and would be yet another reason to get one.

Well, it doesn't look like the Revolution will be out for some time. Fall/Winter of '06, at least.

Only the older model gamecubes supprort component cables, so if you want progressive scan you'd have to buy a used one.

I'd say go for it, now that its lifespan is all but over its a good time to go back and play the few good games it had. I recommend the resident evil series, metroid prime 1 & 2, Tales of Symphonia and Eternal Darkness.

I highly recommend a GC, even with the Revolution looming. But, my personal advice is to grab a few crappy games you have lying about for PS2/Xbox and trade them in at an EB/Gamestop on a used GC. I did exactly this and got mine for $6.00. I also was able to get an older model this way (with a warranty) so I can use component cables. IMO this is the best way to do it, you get the Component capabilities/warranty and pay substantially less.

The Mario party games, Donkey Konga, Mario sunshine, RE4, Zelda, and a few others all make it easily worth your while. I like Pikmin and a number of other games too, plus most can be had for next to nothing used.

The Revolution will be 100% backwards compatible so no worries there even. My GC now sees more play than all the rest of my consoles combined, and it is fun for non-gamers so it tends to be light hearted and fun in groups.

EDIT: I second this statement above fully: "I recommend the resident evil series, metroid prime 1 & 2, Tales of Symphonia and Eternal Darkness."

is there that much of a difference between s-video and component for the gamecube? I never really ever saw the difference. My xbox one was running on monster s-video and looked good although maybe I was missing out not using component with it. <shrug> I have $150 gift card from BB so I can't get used unless I want to shell out the cash on my own.

Corporal79 said:
is there that much of a difference between s-video and component for the gamecube? I never really ever saw the difference. My xbox one was running on monster s-video and looked good although maybe I was missing out not using component with it. <shrug> I have $150 gift card from BB so I can't get used unless I want to shell out the cash on my own.

Not really, there never really is that big of a difference unless the TV is really something special. Most average folks couldn't tell the difference between S-vid and Component on a CRT based TV no matter what... hence why Nintendo dropped the extra cost for no real benefit to the consumer.

If you have the gift card, then you're all set... go nab one and RE4 - you'll get Mario Party 7 for FREE right now too. A solid deal.

yeah I just saw that on the ebgames site (researching accessories with EB's site cause i hate BB's site layout) My couch is kinda far away from the tv and I remember the gamecube my friend had where the controller cords were really short. I had picked up some extension cords for my xbox controllers that gave you like an extra 6 feet which was perfect. I can't seem to find those for the gamecube. I'd rather not have to get two wavebirds at $34 a pop to play from my couch.

I bought mine at Gamestop, and Gamestop sells a store branded Gamecube package for $19.99 that is worth every penny. It comes with two controller extensions, a gamecube disc holder (I think it holds 12 games), an extra controller, and a memory card. It is very well made and addresses all the basic needs of a new system.

EDIT: http://videogames.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?ean=708056611125
Here's the product, I couldn;t find it on Gamestops site oddly enough, but on BN.com

out-fooking-standing! just what I needed. I'll be swinging by there right after Best Buy

For those worrying about getting one with the digital A/V out (for component video) it's not a huge deal. Nintendo will swap your system out for one that has it if you call and ask. They pay the shipping both ways.

I dont think revolution is coming out in 2006. Last I heard Nintendo is still aiming for a Spring launch.

get the Gamecube, grab RE4, and enjoy one of the great video games of all time. If the new GCs don't support 480p, though, I suppose you might as well play it on the PS2. Out of curiosity, does the PS2 version support 480p?

Corporal79 said:
yeah I just saw that on the ebgames site (researching accessories with EB's site cause i hate BB's site layout) My couch is kinda far away from the tv and I remember the gamecube my friend had where the controller cords were really short. I had picked up some extension cords for my xbox controllers that gave you like an extra 6 feet which was perfect. I can't seem to find those for the gamecube. I'd rather not have to get two wavebirds at $34 a pop to play from my couch.
Pawn shops are your friend. I've picked up 4 Wavebirds for between $10 and $15. Gamecubes can be had in my area for $40-$60.

Corporal79 said:

FWIW, Toys R Us has GC controller extension cables for about $10 - I bought one a few weeks ago... :)

Wavebirds are well worth the money. (you should be able to find them new for 29.99 if you look)

And I think nintendo will swap you cubes if you want the digital video out and you got a newer system.

The only reason my PS2 gets used equaly as much as my cube(or even DC) is becuase its modded
:D (Eye patch ftw)

For $100 including Mario Party 7, 2 controllers, and a mic, you can't go wrong. Even with the Revolution being released this time next year (they don't have enough games ready to launch at spring) you can't go wrong for $100 - plenty of good games to be had.

As mentioned, all you have to do is call Nintendo and they will swap you with a Gamecube that does have the component out. RE4 does to 480p on the Cube, it's just in letterbox widescreen rather than anamorphic (not a big deal) and still looks many times better than the PS2 version.

And yes, get 2 wavebirds to complete your purchase... hehe. You'll be able to use all this stuff just fine on the Revolution as well, when that comes out.

Paper Mario for GC is a MUST have IMO. Also don't forget the very good Wind Walker and if you know people that have GBA's pickup Four Swords for some awesome zelda multiplayer (its pretty good single player too). Oh yeah and there is Zelda: Twilight Princess comming sometime early 06.

Hm.. just got my component cables in the mail (45 bucks ouch, hope they work on the revo)
Playing 480p on my pj looks great, the games seem to have some AA or somthing becuase it looks aheck of allot better than playing a PC game at 640x480 w/o any AA.

steviep said:
For $100 including Mario Party 7, 2 controllers, and a mic, you can't go wrong. Even with the Revolution being released this time next year (they don't have enough games ready to launch at spring) you can't go wrong for $100 - plenty of good games to be had.

As mentioned, all you have to do is call Nintendo and they will swap you with a Gamecube that does have the component out. RE4 does to 480p on the Cube, it's just in letterbox widescreen rather than anamorphic (not a big deal) and still looks many times better than the PS2 version.

And yes, get 2 wavebirds to complete your purchase... hehe. You'll be able to use all this stuff just fine on the Revolution as well, when that comes out.

If I read this correctly if I purchase a couple of wavebirds I can use them with the revolution as well? wow thats cool, props to Nintendo if thats true. I picked up the BC with Mario Party bundle today which is kind of a funny story, well maybe not funny but I laughed. They had two different bundles, one with Mario Party 7 and the other with Super Smash bros or whatever which I played once and didn't really enjoy. This guy was crouched down looking at the Mario Party bundle so I'm like F i'm screwed (only one left) so i go off and look for RE4 which I came to find out from the employee who looked it up showed me on the screen that it said "DISCONTINUED" and that BB won't be stocking it anymore although they still stock the first RE for the cube? weird , I couldn't believe it and neither could he. Oh well I grabbed Mario Kart Double Dash and went back to see if that guy took his hands off the MP7 bundle so I could snatch it. He had moved it and put all the other Smash bros bundles in front of it. I'm guessing he was going to come back for it (so he thought) so I dig it out and as I'm walking to the registers he see's me with it and I swear it looked like I just told him I ran over his dog or something. The look on his face was priceless hehe anyway. Guess I'll have to pick up RE4 at the mall.

Can I use 4 wavebirds together? will the wireless signal work ok with 4 at the same time? I'm trying to get them for New Years so people can play.

Corporal79 said:
Can I use 4 wavebirds together? will the wireless signal work ok with 4 at the same time? I'm trying to get them for New Years so people can play.

Yes, the wavebirds can operate on 1 of 12 or 16 or something channels.

Anyway, I'd get a cube for such games:

Resident Evil 4
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tales of Symphonia
Animal Crossing
Metroid Prime 1/2
Super Mario Sunshine
Zelda: Wind Waker
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Ikaruga
Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door

Isaacav2 said:
buy them both :D :D :D
I don't doubt that I will. I've done a bit of searching but had no luck. Is there a compilation of the Mario Bros games for the Gamecube? A Mario All-Stars for the gamecube if you will? I'd love to fire up Super Mario World that was on SNES if possible. Seems like there SHOULD be a compilation out there since I've seen the Mega Man one. Thanks!

Corporal79 said:
I don't doubt that I will. I've done a bit of searching but had no luck. Is there a compilation of the Mario Bros games for the Gamecube? A Mario All-Stars for the gamecube if you will? I'd love to fire up Super Mario World that was on SNES if possible. Seems like there SHOULD be a compilation out there since I've seen the Mega Man one. Thanks!

No, there's not. Not to my knowledge. That would be awesome though.

No Mario compilation, unfortunately. If you mod your cube, you can use emulation on it, of course. But the "Mario Compilation" will have to wait till next year, for the Revolution.

Nope, no Mario compilation (and I want my damn Earthbound/Mother 1-2 for GBA localized Nintendo!). There's a sort of mini Zelda compilation that had Zelda 64, the original NES Zeldas but that was a special preorder item for Windwaker.

With Revolution, you'll have GC backwards compatibility so it shouldn't be a problem to buy a GC now (and you can get some GC controllers for use with the revolution too!). Nintendo will also offer downloads of (hopefully) all the games for previous Nintendo consoles for Revolution (at some variable price, some free, some not).

Super Monkey Ball.

Yes, I'm serious. I always feel obligated to whore this game out, and for good reason. If you've ever played marble madness, you owe it to yourself to get this game asap. Even if you haven't, you still owe it to yourself to get this game asap.

<3

Get a gamecube and get these games:

Mario sunshine
Metroid Prime and Echoes
Zelda
Smash Brothers Melee
Resident Evil 4
Tales of Symphonia

I'm considering getting a gamecube just to try ikaruga (and of course there's metroid prime, zelda TT, etc. that i'd end up buying as well).

I haven't made the final decision yet, but I'm heavily leaning towards it - regardless of the revoution's backward compatability (most especially cause I hardly buy consoles at launch - due to price and waiting to see if it's a buggy piece of crap with dumb-blonde games like the xbox 360).

Ikaruga was fucking awesome. I bought it for the Dreamcast, but I doubt much changed when it was translated to the Gamecube.

Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 make it worth the $100 anyways.

Go ahead and get a Gamecube... recommended by previous posters, but these are must haves:

Wind Waker
Twilight Princess (next year)
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Paper Mario
Mario Kart (wears thin quickly without multiplayer though)

...and probably the superior version of RE4 too, but I haven't gotten around to that one yet. Super Smash Bros. Melee, F-Zero GX, and Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2 are all also great, but may not be as widely appealing. And almost all of these games are cheap now. The Zelda collection is good (you can find it on eBay) as is the Mega Man collection... but all of those games will likely be available for download on the Revolution.

BillLeeLee said:
Nope, no Mario compilation (and I want my damn Earthbound/Mother 1-2 for GBA localized Nintendo!). There's a sort of mini Zelda compilation that had Zelda 64, the original NES Zeldas but that was a special preorder item for Windwaker.

With Revolution, you'll have GC backwards compatibility so it shouldn't be a problem to buy a GC now (and you can get some GC controllers for use with the revolution too!). Nintendo will also offer downloads of (hopefully) all the games for previous Nintendo consoles for Revolution (at some variable price, some free, some not).
Actually that Zelda disc has Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time on it, and LoZ: OoT Master Quest, which is the same, but with different, harder dungeons. I bid on this a few times on eBay, but never won one.

Oh, and here's another vote for buying both!

Back