Buy new Samsung 830's?

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Guy local on CL is selling Sammy 830's new, he says hes getting like 20 more soon... price is good. 512gb.

Where could he be getting these drives? they are out of prod. right?

Can you just ask them where he is getting them from? How well do you know him?

maybe he is buying all the old stock from somewhere... sound suspicious but you could meet up and see what's going on

Hes just some guy from CL.

Says they are sealed new drives.

I plan to meet him and will ask, but I am sure he would not share (if he's smart.)

of course, I will need to open the drives and test each one... $300 a pop is a pretty good deal for this superior drive, IMO.

You want the drive or his source? Ask no questions, hear no lies. Where do you think all those ebay deals come from? I buy all my bike parts on it and some deals are do so good that I do not even want to know...

I am eyeing 840 for games etc.

Last edited:
You want the drive or his source? Ask no questions, hear no lies. Where do you think all those ebay deals come from? I buy all my bike parts on it and some deals are do so good that I do not even want to know...

If you're saying they might be stolen then $300 per drive is too much, IMO. maybe $250 ;-P

I'd be very, very careful in this situation. One of my coworkers just bought several 512GB 830s at a swap meet. They were still shrink wrapped and looked legit. He got them home and found out that they were counterfeits. They were in real 512 GB housings, but they were really 64 GB drives. When we went back to the seller with them, the guy seemed genuinely shocked. He started opening the other ones he had for sale to see if they were all fugazi. Twelve out of the 18 he had left in stock turned out to be 64 GB drives in a 512 GB shell. Long story short, he refunded my coworker's money on the spot and apologized profusely. He called the police as well to try and protect himself as he had already sold several more of the drives before the issue was brought to his attention.

I honestly felt bad for the vendor because the guy seemed so embarrassed about the whole thing and genuinely afraid he was going to be in legal trouble over it. He had apparently bought a lot of 50 of these drives from someone claiming they worked for Microcenter, and were selling discontinued items they got with an employee discount. Turns out the guy had nothing to do with Microcenter and was just dumping counterfeit drives he was getting from overseas. So buyer beware. Someone somewhere realized there was enough demand for 830s once the 840s came out to make it worth their time and energy to make some convincing knock offs.

If you do feel confident enough to meet up with your seller, I highly suggest you bring some way of hooking up the drives to ensure they're legit before putting out any cash. And as always with CL dealings, bring several friends just in case.

Thanks for the post. I was planning on verifying them, I will be absolutely sure to do so. I'll bring my laptop which has a 2nd 2.5" bay that can be swapped easily.

okashira said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iching

If you're saying they might be stolen then $300 per drive is too much, IMO. maybe $250 ;-P

I am not sur about that but you mever know. I ended buying 2 Dell 30 inch monitors few years ago from ebay. The deal was so good i almost cried. It turned out those guys were running a big heist - bling, cars, boats and more.

There was sb selling ten 840 500gb for $290 each dribes on ebay last night - sold out in an hour.

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Back