Buy now, by cheaper, buy later

mmarsh

Limp Gawd
So I have an old 2017 Acer Predator x34 21:9. Still works but its old and IPS. I'd like to replace it with an ultrawide OLED. The problem is this year isn't that great for UW OLEDS as all the new screens are still 3440x1440. Late 2025 however we will start to see new panels in 4K in sizes 38" and up. 3440x1440 seems wasteful on a big screen but Q4 2025 is a rather long wait.
Screen is mainly gaming with light productivity. Super UW are out...too wide. Dont like them. Same with 32" I miss the extra space. I just cant go backwards.

This leaves in a quandary. I see 3 options

1. Get a 38" or 45" screen now and forget the higher resolution, brightness, PPI, etc. Cost 1200-1500 Euros.
2. By a inexpensive 34" OLED like the AW3423DWF which I can find for 750 EUROS and wait until the new panels arrive. Yes I'd lose money a loss, but at least I'd get some use. 18 months is a long wait. Could use as second Monitor later.
3. Do absolute nothing and wait until the next gen stuff comes out. IE wait the 18 months.

What is the best option. What would you do?

As with most things 'puter-related, the usual advice applies:

If you NEED it now, buy it now...if not, then don't & wait, but by Q4/25, more newer betta stuff will be out or forthcoming in 26-27, so then you will be right back in the same place as you are now.... but good luck with whatever decision you make :D

If it were me, I would go with #2, but my needs & use cases are way different than yours, so there's that....

Monitor will rarely be a NEED in bold type of stuff outside breaking down scenarios or specific new work requirement.

We would all still be on very old one.

I'd go with #3. We might get 45" 5120x2160 OLEDs in early to mid 2025, so that would solve the PPI issue at least.

Back