Buy socket 940 when it comes out? or get 939 cheap?

RAA-Kr1cH

Limp Gawd
I have spent the last few weeks researching hardware for a gaming rig I want to build this summer (June or July) I want the rig to be as forward compatible as possible, within reason. For gpu's I was thinking 7900GTX's but with DX10 and vista coming out soon, I'm thinking I'll just go with a single 7900GT (possibly 2 for the time being) I don't want to keep playing the waiting game, but both of those products seem like fairly BIG events that will have more and more effect on the future of gaming. I'm pretty happy with the choice I've made with the card/cards however the whole socket 940 thing has me wondering. The mobo's that I've been looking at are all around $200, use the NForce 4 chip set, and are PCI-E x16 SLI. My questions are:

1. Do I wait for the 940 to come out in a few months and buy one then since I won't be building it till this summer anyway?

2. will the new mobos be roughly the same price? or will they be more expensive because of the new socket type and availability?

3. I'm thinking of using an X2 processor, somewhere in the 4400 to 4800 range, will comparable 940 processors be roughly the same price? or will they be more expensive because of the new socket type and availability?

My other thought is, with the newer technology coming out, will that drive down the prices of socket 939 mobos and processors to the point where I could get some pretty good deals? Or will the same thing happen as has with Nvidia's gpus, where you can get a 7900GT for almost half the price of a 7800GTX?

Current Rig: P4 3.0ghz, 1gb generic ram, radeon 9800 pro 128. This rig is 2 years old, and has served me well over the last 2 years, however I'm ready to have a pc that will let me play the new games on max settings again, but still have a decent upgradability path when it starts slowing down.

Socket 940 - Server-based setup for multiple processor systems, and has been around for a while.

Socket 939 - Same, but for desktop and single-processor systems.

AM2 != socket 940 :)

I don't think theres going to be much difference between dual-core 939, and dual-core AM2. The real benefit of AM2 will come from quad-core, where it can use the extra memory bandwidth.

Yeah I think some of the confusion is coming from the fact that AM2 CPUs will have 940pins, but NOT Socket 940... lol

Sorry for the confusion hehe, you can see how little I really know. Also I read the new AM2 boards will also suppord DDR2, so as of right now, I think I'm gonna try and use AM2.

EDIT: Also, does anyone know what speeds of DDR2 will it support? Am I safe in assuming any DDR2 module will work with the new board?

Anandtech have an AM2 preview up today.
If you are building it in the summer & don't want to carry over existing parts I would wait for AM2.

Back