Buying a new comp need help

You should look around a little more. 32 GB of memory is at least 16 GB too much. For playing games anyway. With just a quick look I saw other PCs with 4770's for half the price. That would leave you with enough money left over to get a better graphics card. Not that the GTX 760 wont look great but "ultra?" I'm not sure.

Too much money in my opinion. Smaller hard drive, no SSD. The fact that it's not Blu-Ray writeable is kind of funny.

Way to much money for what you are getting. You could build the same rig with a nicer case, an SSD, and much better gpu (like a gtx 780ti) for the same $1500.

Please build your own or order from a better prebuilt site. You will waste so much money buying from a retail store

Can't recommend anything at best buy. Inferior & overpriced parts, no real emphasis on gaming, and horrible customer service. If you're using their credit card to purchase a PC I would recommend against it. Perhaps try for an amazon credit card or use the pat me later option on newegg.

Do you have to but it at best buy? The big box stores aren't good for gaming pc's.

you're not getting anything good for that price, it really would be better if you or someone you know could build a custom pc,
only gtx 760 in that pc, not good for gaming, for that price you can easily have a pc with r9 280x crossfire, which will blow that pc out of the water

Last edited:
if you really need to buy at best buy, this is the best one they have showing online,
but to have a kick ass gaming pc you would need to upgrade that to 16GB of ram and add another 280x for crossfire.. assuming that motherboard supports crossfire, if it doesn't you should really not waste your money on it

What game is currently utilizing over 8GB of memory? And why in the world is crossfire/SLI a minimum requirement for a high-end gaming computer? As far as I am concerned, regardless of budget, SLI/crossfire is almost a waste of money itself. Both compatibility and scalability are still hit or miss (scalability is not fantastic even when it is a hit), even though both are improved from how bad they used to be. Regardless if I could afford it or not, I would never buy two GPUs myself until there was near-100% compatibility and scalability, both of which appear to still be a long way off. Not worth the headaches of power consumption, heat, and space (if custom-building), at least for me. And definitely not a minimum requirement for buying/building a high-end gaming computer.

ok yall i cant build me own comp only buy from best buy

If you're going to be $1500 in the hole for something you're not really going to want to keep around, why don't you just go blow all your money on some hookers and blow?

Seriously, regardless of your monetary/skill/limitations you're better off NOT owning a prebuilt rig from a chain retail store.

What game is currently utilizing over 8GB of memory?
i don't play too many games, but the last game i played was Thief and that used over 10 gigs, it's a sign of things to come, and he's looking for a system to handle next gen games, so 16GB

And why in the world is crossfire/SLI a minimum requirement for a high-end gaming computer?
because two are better than one

As far as I am concerned, regardless of budget, SLI/crossfire is almost a waste of money itself. Both compatibility and scalability are still hit or miss (scalability is not fantastic even when it is a hit), even though both are improved from how bad they used to be. Regardless if I could afford it or not, I would never buy two GPUs myself until there was near-100% compatibility and scalability, both of which appear to still be a long way off. Not worth the headaches of power consumption, heat, and space (if custom-building), at least for me. And definitely not a minimum requirement for buying/building a high-end gaming computer.
yea well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, i have a crossfire and i like it

ok yall i cant build me own comp only buy from best buy

its really not that hard to build a pc.
like seriously, its pretty simple. it might be a bit harder than building a castle out of legos.

1500.00, build your own pc. you will get a much better machine but a lot less.
best buy actually offers some decent hardware.

Asus - Intel Z87 Express Chipset Socket H3 LGA-1150
Intel - Core™ i5-4670K 3.4GHz Processor
EVGA - 760 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Superclocked Graphics Card
G.SKILL - Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 SDRAM Memory Module
Corsair - AX760i 760-Watt ATX Power Supply
Samsung - 48x Internal DVD-Writer Drive
WD - Mainstream 1TB Internal Serial ATA Hard Drive

$1,189.26

all you would need is a case of your choose, you can get the nzxt phantom for $119 on bestbuys site.
you may also need a monitor, keyboard, mouse.

Buy the ibuy power, it will at least come with a standard case and components so if you decide to buy or add a video card you can do that. If you buy from any of the other big OEMs it will probably be some custom screwy case and PSU.

You know BB you can use your credit limit even for market place purchases.... Why not just piece together something?

I would concur after looking for a little over 20 minutes the Ibuy power is the best your gonna get UNLESS you go with the asus laptop.

amazing how many people ignore his declaration that he HAS to buy from Best Buy due to the credit he wants to use.

So looking to get a new comp that can play next gen games like bf4 on ultra. i have a 1500.00 credit limit at bestbuy. if someone knows more about comps then me wouldnt mind helping find one from bestbuy.com would be awesome. i found this one here looks good and i dont mind having the blue ray player i do watch movies from time to time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/desktop...skuId=1309130924&id=mp1309130924#tab=overview

Dude.... what are you doing?!

Never buy pre-built systems. NEVER, unless your doing crappy office work.

i don't play too many games, but the last game i played was Thief and that used over 10 gigs, it's a sign of things to come, and he's looking for a system to handle next gen games, so 16GB

That game must have a serious memory leak if it was using 10gbs of RAM....

amazing how many people ignore his declaration that he HAS to buy from Best Buy due to the credit he wants to use.

Amazing how someone asks people of a forum that has 90% of its people building their own custom rigs for advice on buying a pre build retail chain product.

What kind of response did you really think he would get?

My advice for you OP. Buy 1500 dollars worth of shit from Best Buy. Return it, figure out a way to get cash back, buy your own parts from Microcenter or Newegg. Then take the money that you saved & take your wife to a nice dinner or towards your child's college fund.

Last edited:
That game must have a serious memory leak if it was using 10gbs of RAM....

maybe, it was over 10gigs total usage, so i guess you can -2gb for the system, but that's still 8gb just for the game, which means ... you can never have too much RAM

because two are better than one

yea well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it, i have a crossfire and i like it

I want what this guy is smoking.

maybe, it was over 10gigs total usage, so i guess you can -2gb for the system, but that's still 8gb just for the game, which means ... you can never have too much RAM

Games barely use over 4gbs of RAM, since they have GPU RAM to use.

If it's true that Thief used 10gb, I am certain it is due to bad development in the optimization area, as there was so much bad development in other areas. But, the fact that a non-indie title went over 10gb unoptimized means high-end optimized games are probably approaching the barrier - so I agree with you in that case.

Edit: Like someone else here mentioned, thinking this is purely a memory leak bug w/Thief. Searched on google and found someone saying they were only using over 4GB with Thief maxed out on graphics.

Games barely use over 4gbs of RAM, since they have GPU RAM to use.

yeah because most of the games are 32bit, which means they are limited to 4gb, but some of the new games, like thief , also have 64bit version, and 64bit game can use as much ram as you have if it needs it, the new 64bit games will likely utilize a lot more ram than the previous games especially with the 4k displays around the corner

Edit: Like someone else here mentioned, thinking this is purely a memory leak bug w/Thief. Searched on google and found someone saying they were only using over 4GB with Thief maxed out on graphics.

he was likely running the 32bit exe

yeah because most of the games are 32bit, which means they are limited to 4gb, but some of the new games, like thief , also have 64bit version, and 64bit game can use as much ram as you have if it needs it, the new 64bit games will likely utilize a lot more ram than the previous games especially with the 4k displays around the corner

Even using 64bit would not use that extreme amount of system RAM. Increasing resolution would increase VRAM usage though. Its a very poorly optimized game.

Even using 64bit would not use that extreme amount of system RAM. Increasing resolution would increase VRAM usage though. Its a very poorly optimized game.

well you don't have to believe it, i saw it myself, so i don't need anyone telling me how much it really uses,

yeah, games can be intentionally poorly optimized to get you to get rid of all the 1gb vram cards and those 2-4gb computers you are still holding onto

you can buy everything you need to build your own pc from best buy..

Best idea is to find someone to build you a PC and then buy them something for 1500.00 at Best Buy to pay them back.

you can buy everything you need to build your own pc from best buy..

I don't think they sell CPUs or motherboards there. Unless they do that online only?
Either way you could still buy most of your components there but they will be heavily overpriced.

Back