Buying a new vid...would my cpu be a bottleneck?

GraFFix

Limp Gawd
I was going to build a new computer but somethings came up and I can only afford a few of the items that I wanted. one of them being a vid card. but no pci upgrades at the moment for me im gonig to have to stick with my AGP board for the time being.

Im want to buy a eVGA 7800GS CO Superclocked AGP card

My computer currently is

AMD XP2800 @ 2250Mhz
DFI Lan Party NT400
1Gig Corsair value select
9600XT
250g HD

Do you think my system can keep up with the vid card? I just dont want to spend the extra hundred if my machine isnt going to keep up with it. If thats the case I could just get a 6800gs for around $200 and wait till I do the new build whenever thats going to be :(

From the reviews I have read, the 7800 GS isn't enough of a jump from the 6800 GS to justify the money. Get the 6800 and save your money for a new system.

Direfox said:
From the reviews I have read, the 7800 GS isn't enough of a jump from the 6800 GS to justify the money. Get the 6800 and save your money for a new system.

Agreed.

I'd say go with the 6800gs if only for the sheer amount you'd have to pay for such a minimal performance benefit with the 7800gs. With the 6800gs, you can unlock the pipes and vertex shader and oc it, giving you a 6800gt.

I would recommend the 6800GT as well if you have your heart set on a new video card. Personally, I would save the money and save up for a whole new computer. Everything you've listed is pretty outdated and in need of an upgrade.

Back