Buying a PDA, recommendations?

cleathco

Limp Gawd
I'm finally getting around to replacing my first gen iPaq. I figure now is a good time to get a new handheld set up. I don't have many requirements for a new one, here's the details.

1. Must have 802.11 wireless built in for Web Browsing and Network Login.
2. Needs to run Morphgear smoothly.
3. Must have plenty of storage for whatever I happen to need.

Here is what I currently have configured that I feel gets me the best bang for my buck.

Axim X51 520MHz
Coming standard
3.5" QVGA Display
192MB of Memory (128MB Flash, 64MB SDRAM)
Integrated 802.11b and Bluetooth
Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 with Media Player 10 Mobile
My Upgrades
Dell Leather Flip Case
Sandisk - 1GB Secure Digital Memory Card
Belkin Snap-On Thumb Board
Total Price: $431

A couple questions. Is this sufficiently powerful enough to run most software apps on it? They make another one where the CPU is 100 megahertz faster, but it starts at 500 dollars before I put my addons on it.

I already have a Magellan 200 GPS, but would it be worth it to buy the GPS addon for this unit for the ability to upload maps to it?

Finally, Dell sells optional software for this PDA that connects to the 802.11b network. Is this frontend really worth 23 dollars or does Windows Mobile 5 connect good to a wireless network on it's own?

I've had an X51V for about 6 months now and it's by far the best PDA I've owned. DO yourself a favor though and go with the VGA model, you will not regret it. I even ended buying one for my wife to replace her Palm Tungsten E2, she was jealous of my screen resolution. The leather case Dell offers is not very high quality, I have had two fall apart on me within a month and after the second time I went with a Rhino Skin Aluminum case, you should have no problems with Morphgear, another side note is the VGA model also has it's own video processor on board which I am sure Morphgear will eventually come to support (many other game developers are adding support for this.) Windows Mobile 5.0 is still a little quircky at this point and alot of apps aren't fully supported yet, but I have only had problems with a few, and certainly nothing I couldn't live without.

I hope that points you somewhere, it's early and I haven't had any coffee yet.

OK, went ahead and changed it over to the Axim x51v model for the screen. I figure the extra memory, faster CPU, and 3d accelerator will come in handy too.

Back