Buying Hardware with Mail-in-Rebates - Beware!

vsrdan

Gawd
If you are purchasing hardware with rebates which require a registration with "myrebates411.com" web site be aware that it is most likely you wouldn't receive your rebate. I submitted one to this place and they rejected the rebate (that is what they have indicated in my account) although I followed their "rules of submission" EXACTLY according to the list of instructions.

Here is what they have "written" as the reason:

Transaction ID = 9691 Qualification Status = Disqualified: Mail Received - Incorrect Transaction ID on envelop and Mail-in Form.

The transaction ID I received from them after registration was 09691

Hereafter I am going to consider all mail-in rebates as scams.

Of course all mail in rebates are scams. They are tricks to get people to buy overpriced stuff with the hope and expectation that most buyers won't get it sent in within the timeframe, lose their receipt (and thus be unable to get the rebate), or will goof something up while sending the rebate in.

Don't buy from places that advertise all the mail in rebates, you can probably find the same thing cheaper online from someone like newegg.

I do not purchase anything with a rebate unless I consciously acknowledge that I can afford to loose the rebate amount. Rebates are nothing but thinly veiled lottery systems to maximize profit by denial of forms through fraud.

I buy using rebates all the time and I always receive the rebate. And Newegg, Fry's and Tiger Direct all use a lot of rebates, as well as retail stores like CompUSA and Circuit City.

Of course I follow the directions exactly, photocopy all the forms, and then take a photo of the completed rebate form, the UPC code and the stamped, addressed envelope, with my digital camera.

Rebates are fine for people who are neat and orderly and keep good records. If anyone were to deny the rebate I would email them the digital photograph of the rebate submission -- but it has never come to that.

With the current build I am running right now as I type this, I got

1. Free case and free shipping after $40 rebate
2. The power supply was free after $40 rebate
3. $40 rebate on the memory
4. $20 rebate on the video card
5. $20 rebate on the keyboard.
6. $25 rebate on the wireless mouse
7. $90 rebate on the hard drive
8. $20 rebate on the DVD burner

That's $295 worth of rebates on 1 PC, and yes I got all the checks on every one of them and cashed them

Mail in rebates work for me almost all the time. It didn't work only once and that was with Logitech that seriously scammed me. Told me I didn't have the original receipt. What garbage.

But rebates usually suck sometimes because they take so damn long to come back.

Back