Buying new CPUs and older motherboards

ochadd

[H]ard|Gawd
Can anyone tell me what Newegg, Amazon, or others do if you get a motherboard that has an incompatible BIOS to the CPU you ordered? I'm looking at a new AM3+ 8 core CPU and an old 760G motherboard that only supports the CPU on the very latest BIOS. I don't want to get caught footing the bill on a return order.
Thanks

They don't do anything, it's like if you ordered an AM3+ board and an Intel CPU; there job is to simply sell and ship you the products. They expect you to understand everything before you buy stuff from them. They do not refund money because of incompatibilites.Whether or not is has the latest BIOS or not depends on which board you get, if it's a new stock then chances are the latest BIOS is already installed, but if you get one with an older BIOS it's up to you to remedy that problem.

If the 760G board has an older BIOS you can always update it if you have a spare chip around.

Late last year, I bought an MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) motherboard with a BIOS that does not support Intel Ivy Bridge CPUs. Worse, the newer BIOSes that do support Ivy Bridge apparently don't support my older Sandy Bridge.CPU (MSI won't give a straight answer about this).

Back