Buying Q6600 from Newegg will I get a G0?

Juggafat

Gawd
I know this question has been asked to death in the past but I haven't seen anything pertaining to it recently...I will be purchasing a Q6600 from Newegg and was wondering if all of the B3 stepping models have been cleared out yet? I mean it's been a really long time since the G0 stepping came out and the fact that newegg moves a ton of product, you'd think that all the B3 processors were cleared out. So has anyone received a B3 as of recently or known anyone who has from newegg? Also would buying retail or OEM increase/decrease my chances of getting a G0?

I'm just gonna get mine from tigerdirect. It's not that much more expensive (like $20) and that way know for sure...

I would say prob 100% now and if for some unknown reason you dont just send it back. plus mine will be up for sale in a week.

It's rare to get a B3 considering the amount of stock the Egg moves, though I would recommend going retail even if you don't need the heatsink or warranty. The OEM's seem to be getting VID's of 1.3v and 1.325v. Retail chips appear to be averaging 1.2675-1.2975 and hit 3600 with around 1.45v. Mine is an OEM G0 1.3250v from Tigerdirect and barely hits 3400.

Far as im concerned vid does not mean squat. I have installed numerous gos with all kinds of vids and far as I have seen the vids dont really mean squat. The vid on my go is1.325 retail from the egg. I have seen lower vids not get 3.0 or 3.2 and so forth with higher vids. So far as im concerned vid is nothing just means the minimum it took for that cpu to operate at its speed. My vid is 1.325 and this go does well over 3.9 ghz all depends on components and the chip and how far you want to push it.

more then likely yes now as the B3's have been pretty much depleted.

I've read about the concern with the VID's...is this a real issue? Do lower VID usually correlate with higher OC's?

Typically, yes. I think my chip isn't that great, and it's a G0. I can't break 3.0ghz, even at almost 1.4 vcore. Could possibly be my RAM though.

It's rare to get a B3 considering the amount of stock the Egg moves, though I would recommend going retail even if you don't need the heatsink or warranty. The OEM's seem to be getting VID's of 1.3v and 1.325v. Retail chips appear to be averaging 1.2675-1.2975 and hit 3600 with around 1.45v. Mine is an OEM G0 1.3250v from Tigerdirect and barely hits 3400.

same here. got it from newegg with 1.325 vid and mine doesnt do 3.2 stable. :(

FYI, I just received my retail version from Newegg yesterday and it was a SLACR.

Thanks for the info Werthan.

So anymore insight on the significance of VID when OCing?

Generally speaking, a lower VID means the CPU has been tested to run at stock speeds with a lower voltage than others. While not always true, in the overclocking world this oftentimes translates into a CPU that is likely to be a better overclocker because it generally will not need as much voltage to hit higher clocks; up to a certain point.

Back in the AthlonXP days, this was one of the reasons why many of us went with the mobile XP CPUs. They ran a much lower vcore than the regular Bartons and had an unlocked multiplier which both facilitate better overclocking. With the lower vcore, it usually gave you some extra breathing room when scaling the frequency in regards to voltage. You would still normally have to dump voltage into the CPU to get the highest clocks but your chances of reaching the higher clocks was much better with one of those CPUs.

Even if you're just looking for a modest overclock, a CPU with a lower VID is more likely to get that moderate overclock with less voltage which means less heat.

Retail vs OEM can be a tricky subject. I have two retail Q6600s and one OEM and all three are G0s. The two retail hit 3.6Ghz on air cooling with around 1.42 vcore after vdroop. The OEM seems to have topped out around 3.51Ghz with about 1.44 vcore. Both retail CPUs had a VID of 1.275 and the OEM had a VID of 1.325. I will not say the VID or the fact that it's an OEM CPU is the reason for the lower overclock. First of all, overclocking is a crapshoot no matter what. The second reason is because it's on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 board and the P965 chipsets aren't the friendliest to quads.

I have talked to a couple other people with retail and OEM G0 Q6600s and their results with OEM CPUs not reaching clocks as high as the retail CPUs match mine. However, we are only a few people and I would take our experiences with a big grain of salt, especially since there really shouldn't be a difference between the retail and OEM CPUs other than packaging.

Far as im concerned vid does not mean squat. I have installed numerous gos with all kinds of vids and far as I have seen the vids dont really mean squat. The vid on my go is1.325 retail from the egg. I have seen lower vids not get 3.0 or 3.2 and so forth with higher vids. So far as im concerned vid is nothing just means the minimum it took for that cpu to operate at its speed. My vid is 1.325 and this go does well over 3.9 ghz all depends on components and the chip and how far you want to push it.

+1 I have not seen much of a correlation between VID and maximum overclocks.

The OEM I ordered 3 months ago from NewEgg was a G0 and runs @ 3.4 just fine with a TRUE. I just ordered 3 retail Q6600s for a VMWare lab I'm building. They were just delivered today. I'll post their steppings when I get home tonight.

I know many may not approve of this, but you'll get the best prices and you'll know for sure if you're getting a G0 by purchasing off of ebay. I've always found ebay to be safe when purchasing from sellers with great reputation.

Yeah I think the price diff between OEM and retail is like $10 but if there's not much diff then I wouldn't mind putting that extra $10 towards some of my shipping costs. The Cooler I plan on using is the Xigmatek RIfle cooler 120mm...is this a pretty good cooler for an overclocked Q6600?

I've only tested 3 G0's, two were retail and one OEM. Retails came as 1.275 & 1.225, OEM was 1.2875. The OEM with the highest VID clocked the highest for me, in my tests. 3663Mhz (407x9) @ 1.46v The retail with 1.225 soared to 3.4 @ 1.29v, but wouldn't do 3.6 no matter what. And the 1.275 (which is mine) does slightly over 3.0 at stock volts, 3.2 takes 1.3875v and 3.4 sucks down a wopping 1.44v. It won't do 3.6 either.

Some people have better luck than others. Like SmokeRngs said it's a crapshoot. Ya get what ya get and that's that.

Chances of G0 are pretty high now since B3s stop production and it's been like half a year since G0 release.

While I was purchasing a replacement motherboard/CPU combo for Mom (her motherboard croaked) at the local MarketPro computer show, I checked three different local retailers that were present as far as what they were carrying in terms of Q6600s.

Number of retail B3s: zero.

Get this: the *worst* price for a retail G0 was $209, while the best was $190.

In short, I couldn't even find a retail B3. (In fact, I found a grand total of three OEM B3 Q6600s, and all were pulls.)

If Newegg has any retail B3s anywhere, it's because someone went and hid them. (In fact, I haven't seen a retail B3 locally since May, anywhere. Even the local Computer Rennaissance, which has the worst prices locally on CPUs, has no B3s, retail or OEM.)

If you find a retail-boxed B3, did you make sure to blow all the dust off the box?

Is the VID of the processor identified somewhere on the outside of a retail boxed package?

Is the VID written on the heatspreader of the cpu itself?

I read about people going to the local brick and mortor and hand picking a lower VID cpu. I do not know where to look for the VID on the cpu.

The VID is identified by several hardware / temp monitoring programs. CoreTemp is the most popular option. Unfortunately it's not identified on the box, so you'll have to pop in the processor and load up a program to tell you.

Just to add to the discussion: I've had the pleasure of benching four Q6600's -- all of which were G0s. The first had a VID of 1.275 and was stable at 3.6ghz with about 1.48 volts. The second and third both had VIDs of 1.325 and both couldn't maintain much beyond 3ghz. My fourth and final G0 has a VID of 1.2375 and can do 4ghz+ at 1.5v. All of these were tested on a 680i and 780i platform -- I would've expected better results if they had been on Intel.

From what I've heard recently, many late model SLACR / G0s are proving to be poor OCers (I've seen several comments on XS, for example, stating that they've had better luck with B3s.) This just reasserts that if you're going to predict a chip's OC potential, your best bet is to consider both VID and Batch. There's lots of debate over whether VID is meaningful, but usually procs of the same batch perform similarly. Plus, you can go batch hunting w/o buying a chip if you live near a B&M store. Just head on over and look at the labels on the proc boxes.

It's been a whole year since the G0 stepping rolled out, now you cannot even expect a Q6600 that is not on a G0 stepping. So it's pretty safe to wait for a SLACR.

I put off ordering the parts cause of hurricane Gustav...and how I'm waiting again for hurricane Ike. lol.

I received a Q6600 from newegg last week and I got a G0. If that alleviates your worries any.

I know many may not approve of this, but you'll get the best prices and you'll know for sure if you're getting a G0 by purchasing off of ebay. I've always found ebay to be safe when purchasing from sellers with great reputation.

Lol until my last recent upgrade I bought all my procs on ebay, I had no problems and I got them for at least 50-100 off the retail price. Takes a few hours and some good observation skills but saves alot of money.

+1 I have not seen much of a correlation between VID and maximum overclocks.

Me either, my e7200 came with a sort of highish vid... but it can do an ~800-1000mhz overclock on what intel says it needs to run at stock.....

Lol until my last recent upgrade I bought all my procs on ebay, I had no problems and I got them for at least 50-100 off the retail price. Takes a few hours and some good observation skills but saves alot of money.

E-Bay or F/S forms can be a great place to get your proc, especially if your hunting for a particular batch.

Just received my Q6600 from Newegg and it is a SLACR or G0 stepping....batch L8. I will verify VID when i get the system together. I went ahead and bought retail instead of OEM since there was only 5 dollar difference after newegg raised prices.

Back