Buzzing noise in Forte headphone only during 3D audio

I expect more out of a new $150 sound card I just bought. Had to Google search and line my bracket with scotch tape. WTF, Auzentech. Hmm, still there, but reduced, I need to tape it up better with black electrical tape.

ok this drives me NUTS.

yanked it out and using adi soundmax onboard sound--no static, no popping, no problem.

Last edited:
For anyone else digging up this thread when researching similar problems, I did my best to wrap my bracket for my X-Fi Forte in masking tape. While the EMI noise is still present, it is only audible when my speakers are at 75% of max or above.

I have a GTX 275 and a GT 240 with the Forte in between on the only free PCI-E x1 slot. Previous to this "mod" I was getting some wicked EMI noise when the GT 240 was under load, almost like the sound of an incoming helicopter. This noise is still present after the mod, but as I said before only when the speakers are turned way way up. I normally run about 20% volume so this is a significant improvement.

I did not use any plastic screws or anything else unusual. Just plain old masking tape over every metal surface on the bracket. Electrical tape would no doubt work even better.

i figured out if you use motherboard washer spacers in between the bracket and the socket port on the back it gets rid of the buzz

i figured out if you use motherboard washer spacers in between the bracket and the socket port on the back it gets rid of the buzz

Just be careful to make sure the bracket doesn't touch any metal around the headphone jack or other connectors. I kept getting noise until I used the scotch tape + motherboard washer spacer method I posted earlier in this thread.

I haven't had any issues with the card since then. One of these days I'm going to pull it out and spray paint or clear coat the bracket, that should eliminate the metal contact issue without any ghetto tape or spacers.

just posting to say, after i was giving up on the hissing n cracking sound from my speakers, after i installed xfi titanium i came across this thread. so i took out a black insulation tape and wrapped the whole back bracket of the card with it. used washer between the screw and the back bracket and the case. and i must say, there is a noticeable improvement in the idle noise. even when the speakers are turned all way high, the noise is barely noticeable. and in my regular volume level there is no static sound at all. so who ever came with the idea, a big thanks :D

Still have to finish modding my forte. I still get buzzing every now and then and it's driving me nuts.

I hadn't heard the buzzing, then it started up one day. I messed about w/ electrical tape on the pcie bracket, but nothing helped. Then the other day I decided to move it from the topmost slot to the bottom and the buzz disappeared completely.

And now I remember that I originally had it on the bottom when I first installed it. :p

I have it on the lowest possible slot but it's still buzzing. I may try to move it to the top most slot but have to figure out what to do with my heatsink currently there. =/

Edit: Fixed with blue painters tape! Works fine in my HTPC though. I'm guessing it has to do with the the grahpics card pulling a ton of power/causing interference in high end graphics cards. My HTPC has an integrated grahpics (Zotac 9300 micro ATX)

Last edited:
Great.. mine just started this loud popping noise. Funny how the first time I heard it is after I installed Black Ops. I loaded the latest driver from Auzentech hoping it would help. I have done nothing to unground the bracket. the washer idea looks good but the screw goes through the hole hte bracket it is.. so if the screw touches the bracket at that point you are still grounded. I had thought about dipping hte bracket in that stuff you get at Home Depot they use to cover tool handles. It is kinda like a rubbery coating or spray the bracket with undercoat spray which also feels rubbery.

I was going to get a Forte (it's unavailable until january, wonder if they will change anything for the new batches), but this really makes me hesitate.
Covering the mounting plate with tape seems a little... unstable.

Is it possible to isolate the plate from the card instead of the case, maybe by putting washers under the mounting screws?

I was going to get a Forte (it's unavailable until january, wonder if they will change anything for the new batches), but this really makes me hesitate.
Covering the mounting plate with tape seems a little... unstable.

Is it possible to isolate the plate from the card instead of the case, maybe by putting washers under the mounting screws?

I used electrical tape to isolate my card from the mounting bracket and it worked just fine. Easier than trying to isolate from the case.

Back