Buzzing sound from speaker

Volucris

Gawd
Swan D1080MKII
It's the right side speaker that you connect the power to that is producing an annoying buzz sound at all volume levels with any cable unplugged or plugged in. As long as it has power, it buzzes.

Is this typical and how do I cure this? Call AudioInsider or what?

try turning down the volume on your computer. Sometimes if you have the volume maxed coming out of your sound card you can get buzzing in your speakers. My Klipsch speakers specifically said not to have the system volume above 75%.

I assumed you checked the connections and moved the speakers and wires away from anything that might be interfering with them (stuff the generates electrical/magnetic fields etc)

I disconnected everything but the power cable and found it was only the right side speaker. So I narrowed it down to a power source noise. Plugged it into a surge protector that has a noise filter and the problem is gone.

I disconnected everything but the power cable and found it was only the right side speaker. So I narrowed it down to a power source noise. Plugged it into a surge protector that has a noise filter and the problem is gone.

I'm sorry, but can you educate me on surge protector with noise filter? does that help remove/reduce the hissing sound that my speakers are currently making atm?

Glad you sorted that out. It's one of the less common things that can cause it, so we probably wouldn't have found that one quickly. :D

I'm sorry, but can you educate me on surge protector with noise filter? does that help remove/reduce the hissing sound that my speakers are currently making atm?

Corry, it can help in some cases. Hissing sound out of both channels when nothing is playing is generally amp noise. It will probably be much lower at lower volumes and increase significantly and reliably past a certain point. If that sounds like your issue...you either need to find a way to get sufficient volume while keeping the amp below the point where it starts hissing a lot, or you need to get a better amp.

If you have active speakers, the amp is inside them and therefore anything about the amp level applies to the volume knob on the speakers. In this case you can't replace the amp and you might want to considere better speakers. Let us know what equipment you're using as well as if this sounds like your problem, it will help us figure out what to expect from it and whether this is indicative of a bigger issue.

Well, I thought I had cured it but I guess I just did not notice there really was no difference. The buzz sound is still quite evident and it's driving me mad. With the right side active speaker connected only to the power source and no audio cables or anything else, it emits a rather noticeable buzz/tick sound. Even when I have them connected to a UPS by themselves and nothing else plugged into an outlet. Purely battery powered and it still buzzes.

So should I call up TheAudioInsider and sort out an exchange or what? I hope to God that this isn't a normal behavior for these speakers. I used to have some Gigaworks T20 speakers and they had a horrible buzz/hiss noise as well. Drove me mad and I returned them.

In that case it's back to sounding like a short internally, especially since it's only one channel and always that one. I'd try an exchange next, yeah.

Back