Bye Bye, HDMI! a New A/V Cable Standard is Here

What about Intel's lightpeak? I wonder if their plans to replace everything with one wire will get as big a push (not sure it would)

Thinking about it, who thinks they are going to change some of the leads so you can't just use off the shelve Cat5e/6 cables?

Thinking about it, who thinks they are going to change some of the leads so you can't just use off the shelve Cat5e/6 cables?

Looking at the Valens Semiconductor product brief, it specifically states "standard cat5e/6 Lan cable" so I'm hopeful that it uses a standard straight thru cable.

This is seriously great news. I wonder if Monster is going to release a 6ft Cat6 patch cord that's $99.99 but made with silver strands instead of copper? It's better overall IQ!

Looking at the Valens Semiconductor product brief, it specifically states "standard cat5e/6 Lan cable" so I'm hopeful that it uses a standard straight thru cable.

Standard cable but I bet they will come up with connectors that won't plug into anything else but A/V equipment...

Kinda defeats the purpose of a "standard" if it changes every few years.

I hope this fails at being adopted. Just stick with the existing HDMI and let's move on to more important things... like 3D!!!! (ok, just kidding on that last bit).

Standard cable but I bet they will come up with connectors that won't plug into anything else but A/V equipment...
I know what you're saying, but everything in the documents look to be aimed at keeping it compatible with existing cables.

From Valens Semiconductor:
http://www.valens-semi.com/technology/downloads.aspx
In addition to reducing the number of cables required, HDBaseT uses low-cost single
standard Cat-5e/6 cable - the easiest cable to install with the highest reliability and
robustness. HDBaseT also connects equipment that is up to 100m/328ft apart and uses
the existing RJ-45 connector that is widely available.

I know what you're saying, but everything in the documents look to be aimed at keeping it compatible with existing cables.

From Valens Semiconductor:
http://www.valens-semi.com/technology/downloads.aspx

How does exchanging one cable for another cable reduce clutter? All you are doing is replacing each hdmi cable with a Cat5/6 cable. How are customers going to know they will need the soon to be stupidly priced Cat6 cables to get the full bandwidth necessary and that the vastly more common Cat5 may not be up to snuff?

I hope this fails at being adopted. Just stick with the existing HDMI and let's move on to more important things... like 3D!!!! (ok, just kidding on that last bit).
Exactly.

Yes a new standard every 5 years is going to get old real damned quick. Everything currently comes with HDMI and all the small devices are able to use mini HDMI. Cat5/6 cannot be utilized realistically by smaller devices right now.

And everyone who thinks Cat5/6 wont go up in price because of this new standard are just fooling yourselves. Cable manufacturers will make sure of that.

I hope it does get adopted because it make regular HDTVs even cheaper, then maybe I will buy one...

Yes a new standard every 5 years is going to get old real damned quick. Everything currently comes with HDMI and all the small devices are able to use mini HDMI. Cat5/6 cannot be utilized realistically by smaller devices right now.

And everyone who thinks Cat5/6 wont go up in price because of this new standard are just fooling yourselves. Cable manufacturers will make sure of that.

Stock up :D

I just can't see Sony doing this unless they are allowed to add one pin or something so they can patent it and charge royalties. Sony is not in the habit of doing anything industry standard that they can't make a buck on.

That is, until Monster starts selling them. CAT5e/6 cables were always so stupid expensive at Best Buy anyways.

I recently wired up a new company office and before doing so, I priced out the cables I needed. I had to show my boss that instant gratification is bad. I ordered about 45-50 cables from Monoprice at about $50 whereas a single 6-feet CAT5e cable at Best Buy is $16.

Unless LG, Samsung and Sony steps on a few necks to keep big box stores from marking up the price of CAT5e and 6 cables, I don't see any savings happening.

You know, they could use dual-RJ45's with a binary parity pattern. That could magnify the bandwidth capability of CAT6 cables. My personal server has two gigabit ports, but we only have a 100mbit router. I have two CAT5e's going from these two gigabit ports into two ports on the router; in Windows 7 these two ports are bridged/teamed. According to Windows, it's connected with a 1.0 gigabit throughput (two 100mbit's can make 1 gigabit?). Seems they already have some of this in place.. which means, if algorithms are designed well, having four 100mbit lines could possibly be capable of a 10+ gigabit throughput. *shrugs*

All in all, they could just make a push for fiber optics instead. Much faster anyway. :rolleyes:

Hey, Monsters CEO has to have SOME way to pay for that high-tech gizmo he had made for the trunk of his Bentley that auto-loads his Segway into the trunk.

It was a Street Customs episode.

$100 HDMI cables buy a lot of Bentley.

That's what I was thinking, Monster will make sure that the cables are not cheap, and places like Best Buy will have their other manufactures as well for jacked up prices, I remember seeing a simple 6 foot HDMI cable for $50 there... needless to say I drove the 40 miles to Fry's to get one for $7.

A lot of standards don't seem to serve much of a purpose to the user; there may be a technical (or business/political) reason for the introduction of a new cable standard but the user will only perceive it as just another cable they're forced to buy. Most average Joes will probably see this as an annoyance since HDMI is "good enough" and won't reap the benefits of cheaper cables since they're probably buying these retail.

To me, this makes a lot of sense: so long as it uses standard CAT5/6 and there's no quality degradation involved in order to make the signal 'fit' the cable then I'm all for it. It'll just make my box of cheap CAT5/6 and bundle of RJ-45 even more useful.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if HDBaseT is replaced with yet another standard in five years. At least I'll be able to use the cables for something else.

I don't get get it. How is this any better than HDMI?

Unless they drop HDCP.

A very standard cable, I can see this as being good. As for HDCP, I've been praying that it dies, but not gonna happen, nor is this going to be effected by the media that carries it.

The use of this cable and its purest copper conductor capabilities, eliminate the adverse effects from communication and helps stabilize the transmission when passing through forcefields. The cable used on Prototype No. 023 caused the gun to reset itself when passing through forcefields. With this pure cable this no longer happens, and the subject can reach his destination without problem.

LOL
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-m...1X6PM/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
>Thank you for calling Tech support, how can I help you today?
>Yes, My Internet is gone. Can you get my Internet back for me.
>Did you plug in the cable provided with your computer to your modem or router?
>Yes, I did, but it still doesn't work.
>Did you plug the other end into your monitor...:D

Seriously, it would be very nice if it just worked, and it sounds like it may... whereas HDMI doesn't. I don't care what you say, but it doesn't work on my PC worth a darn, and every receiver I've owned had a PITA setup to get it working too. *COUGH* BNC *COUGH*

Monoprice is going to make a killing with this new standard!

...or at least $1.63 for each 1,000 foot of CAT6. :D

Son, I am disappoint

Bulk CAT6
Crimpers
RJ45 connectors

If you are incapable of making a cable as simple as CAT5/6, you deserve to pay the high prices.

I'm to the point where I don't make patch cables anymore. I'll pull cable, terminate ends with keystone jacks or patch panels and buy 50 premade patch cables. It's not worth my time to make bulk cables. I will still make one-off and specialty cables as needed.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this is great to hear, but i'm a little skeptical of when it will take effect. the article says BY 2011, which is only a couple months away, i doubt we'll see these as standards that soon.

I agree with other users here who have mentioned that this has been around and available for years. It's nothing new. Now having a jack on your tv so you don't have to change your cat5/6 into an HDMI (DVI or Component) plug is new. But the ability to send HD video and audio through cat5/6 through to the TVs through out the house has been done for quite awhile.

Definitely making wiring the house a ton easier, pretty much double up your network.

HDMI is still ahead of Cat6a with the new HDMI 1.4 which can do 21Gbs throughput vs Cat6a which is maxed out at 10Gbs. Unless they find a better way to get the throughput up I don't see this being helpful at all.

What does that have to do with anything? We can't even fully utilize 10 Gbps.

YESSSSSSSSSS! CAT5e/6 for everything!

http://www.appliancemagazine.com/news.php?article=1408914&zone=0&first=1

I don't know about providing power to my A/V components, but HELL YEA to everything else!

I think everyone else here is missing that part. NO MORE POWER CABLES!!!! everything would go through the cat5e/6. Which like you i'm not sure about. How do you power your tv or anything like that through something like that?

are all the speakers cable going to change to cat5 cables too?

That is what is meant by AV. As the page says, video, audio, power and controls all go through the cat5e/6 wire.

How does exchanging one cable for another cable reduce clutter? All you are doing is replacing each hdmi cable with a Cat5/6 cable. How are customers going to know they will need the soon to be stupidly priced Cat6 cables to get the full bandwidth necessary and that the vastly more common Cat5 may not be up to snuff?

1 cable for 3+ cables not 1 for 1

At first I was like "Awwww", but then I read it's based on CAT6 and was like "OHH!".

I can think of one reason why this probably wont take hold. The average consumer. They're already confused enough about hooking up stuff to the back of their equipment. Imagine if all the connections looked the same and all had different functions. All hope would be lost.

The HDBaseT Comparison Table (link goes to .pdf file) makes clear how HDBaseT differs from HDMI 1.4 and Displayport 1.2.

One of the biggest things is the length; HDMI and DP only go a few meters, while HDBaseT goes to 100m in a single cable and 800m using multi-hops. Another big thing is the 100W of power over the cable. Another big thing is lots and lots of houses and businesses already have Cat5e/6 ethernet cabling installed.

I think this cable standard will fly.

At first I was like "Ah great, more shit to buy".

Then I was like "oh great, they finally wised up"

I'm all for this concept. Cat5e/Cat6 is dirt cheap, and has many advantages. Bringing the TV into the fully networked world and just making it another component on the switch is a great idea, and one thats LONG overdue.

HDMI isn't even that old. As long as the adapters from HDMI are cheap for this, I guess I don't care. Otherwise, they can go fuck themselves, I'm not buying all new A/V equipment.

Back