C2D e7300 to FX6300? Significant upgrade?

entropism

2[H]4U
Disclaimer: Microcenter is an hour from my house. No problems driving there.

So I've got the upgrade bug, and it seems like my motherboard is about to give out so I'm looking to upgrade on a budget. Right now I have a P45 board (in my sig) along with an e7300 OCed to 3.2Ghz. My only gaming is WoW (I know, I know) at 1920x1200 (all settings as high as I can), with a possible upgrade to a new 27" IPS at I believe 2500x1600. Mainly I'm doing a bunch of web/office work on my desktop, but when I do play WoW, I want to make sure it's working perfectly. I don't need the fastest, but I don't want to upgrade for at least 2 years, hopefully longer. My current system has lasted me nearly 5, so...

Anything I do will require a new board, CPU and memory, but I'm trying to keep this as cheap as possible. I was debating waiting for Haswell and picking up a 3570K on the cheap, but what about a FX6300 now? Any thoughts on the matter?

I am dreaming about the FX 6300 and Micro Center discounts. $50 off the bundle, so it's like a $70 95w TDP processor and close to the FX 8320 in games. i3 price for a hexacore.

Price and performance seem to be optimal, if you want it. It seems like Intel will cater to enthusiasts with LGA 2011, not Haswell. And they won't usually be overclockable.

Which heatsink are you using?

I have a Zigmatek 120mm something or other that was popular 5 years ago. I'll probably pick up a CM 212. This is all going in a Lian Li A05, Corsair HX 620, and 4 Scythe gentle typhoon fans. Silent, but the speed isn't what it used to be.

Edit: As far as Haswell goes, I wouldn't be buying it. I'd be waiting for its release then buying a 3570k used here or on clearance at MC, if I were to wait. Also, if my MB lasts that long...

is there any similar "valued" deals online that you could reccomend? In similar boat as OP gaming on a [email protected]. OP That deal is awesome I'd do it if I had a MC around here.

Back