C2D E8400

zippo56

n00b
Hi all
I am thinking of getting my self a C2D E8400 but have read a lot of things on forums about really high temps. when idle and under load and alot of people have also said to ignore the temp readings as they are wrong because of something to do with the temperature sensors in the processor itself. i have spoken to a few people who's cpu reports 60-70oC when idle but there heatsink is cold to touch which i find very strange. i wont be using watercooling just a heatsink and fan with 3 case fans does anybody know anything about this.
Thanks.

The temps reading you are referring to is the error in temp reporting that the e8400s are known to have (over reporting). Intel has said to watch for the temp delta from Tjunction.
The Tjunc on these are 95C so if coretemp or Realtemp tells that you are at least 30C from Tjunc, you are set.

thanks for the reply magnuspah
are you saying that if coretemp or realtemp reports a temp of 95c then it is actually only 65c or am i missing something i dont understand what tjunction is. i am just trying to find out if these chips run hot or not as i am thinking of getting one but everyone says not to because they over heat and cause your comp to shut down or the cores lock up. i dont want to spend that sort of cash on a chip if its going to cause me problems.
thanks AGAIN

No problems with my ex e8400. Just run prime95 and watch the temps. If they dont rise to high than your good. I wouldn't worry about the idle temp and its a dumb reason to not get a e8400. Mine ran cool and fine with an aftermarket heatsink (brought oem)

Good luck.

When I OC'd my friend's E8400 to 4.0GHZ with a Tuniq Tower I didn't see over 61C 100% load and it was high 30s low 40s when idle, so I wouldn't worry too much if you have a decent cooler.

Back