C2D max temp?

Ok, I'm thinking this is obvious but I have never owned a C2D so I am asking just to make sure.

At full load my cores are running really hot, I'm talking wow...that shouldn't do that kind of hot.

Core0: 76C
Core1: 78C

This happens when I run Prime95 for only about 5 minutes. There are no stability issues and the CPU is not overclocked at all. The only thing I can think of is that it is a laptop and the HS was just removed today because I had a technician from Dell replace my motherboard that was DOA on this thing and he just ripped the HS off and stuck it back on without a new thermal pad or any sort of thermal substance.

So, two things come to mind just from experience with my overclocking in the past. There is either bad heat transfer between the CPU and HS because of the lack of fresh thermal paste or the like or there is bad ventilation to the HS and this is normal for laptops (since this is my first laptop I wouldn't know)

Also I should mention that it is a Core2Duo T5550 1.8Ghz just for part spec.

well, if there is not thermal grease, thats definetly a problem.

Not sure how the temps really should be though since this is in a laptop. The temp is pretty borderline I think (max is 80c? not sure).

What are you using to measure temp? I ask because some measure the actual core temp and some measure the temp of the geometric center of the heatspreader. I don't have a c2d laptop handy or I'd run TAT for you.

I use CoreTemp to measure the actual core temps.

I also realized it was because I was sitting it on my bed rather than on a flat surface thus preventing good ventilation out of the bottom of the laptop...Once I got it on a table things leveled out after about 20 minutes to a decent 58-60C. I still think if I pulled it apart and put AS5 on the the HS I would get better temps but I don't really know if I want to spend an hour pulling it apart and an hour putting it back together for an unknown benefit....

changing the TIM on there would help a little, but temps sound about reasonable where they are now. For reference my older dothan dell laptop gets around 40'c idle and 50's load. But I did change out for AS5 and I am not using coretemp (don't think they support dothans) so if you add say 10'c I'm right around where you are.

Most solder melts between 215F and 220F (101-104c) So you're not gonna nuke the core, my T2500 runs around 57c at idle, and around 67 at 100%. Sounds to me like you've got bad thermal transfer. Maybe the heatsink is not seated fully...

Most solder melts between 215F and 220F (101-104c) So you're not gonna nuke the core, my T2500 runs around 57c at idle, and around 67 at 100%. Sounds to me like you've got bad thermal transfer. Maybe the heatsink is not seated fully...

lol did you read his new post? Now you're the one with a heatsink not seated fully :p

Goddamn thoes mobiles are hard to melt!

Their almost double that of C2D desktop models.
:eek:

Goddamn thoes mobiles are hard to melt!

Their almost double that of C2D desktop models.
:eek:

Double? C2D desktop are 85'c. 15'c difference.

Which is to say, I have a e6400 that got cooked to temps higher than boiling and it still works today! It was run in a toast motherboard and on stock hsf. When I got out of the shower to check on it, there was a noticable burning metal smell. I gauged temperature by splashing a little water on the heatsink. It boiled right off

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I realized after reading a post saying 100C is the max that that is the same answer that CoreTemp gives me under "Tjunction" so this must be the rated max temp then I guess.

In which case I am certainly not worried at all about this thing frying what so ever.

Now I wanna try to overclock it after I mod it a little. I figure if I take it apart and slap on some AS5 and then reseat it after drilling out the itty bitty ventalation holes on the bottom I should be good for another 5-10C drop if I am thinking this through correctly. However, I wonder how to overclock this thing because it is a Dell and I can't do it in the motherboard. Then I tried clockgen but it can't read the PLL chip on this thing or something because it won't work either. So what now? I would really like to play and see what this thing can really do because it already beats my 3Ghz Opteron and its only at 1.6Ghz right now :p

Are meroms all 667fsb currently? If so, there's no way at the moment to overclock it. Even the core duos which has 533fsb variants, when modded to 667fsb, had abnormal speedstep behavior forcing it to lowest multiplier. Not sure if this was something intel implemented after the dothan situation or what.

I suppose if you wanted to pioneer, you could try manipulating the bsels for the reserved configurations. Basically, that's how pentium m overclocking was done. There's now 3 bsel pins, and their resistance (hi/lo) pattern for the three determine which fsb it runs at. It may be (although I have a feeling no) possible that the bios has preprogrammed settings for what's currently reserved for what will later be used for say 800fsb or something like that. Worst case it posts at lower speeds, same speed, or doesn't post until you reset the config.

Yeah I'd get a bit nervous at your temps... I'm running Quad Prime95 right now on my E6600 at 2.4ghz and am only seeing 55c, at idle i'm at 34c, and My place is probably at 75F...

Just some data to help you

Back