Cable box for a projector

Waffles730

Limp Gawd
Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, I couldn't find a place where it would be better.

I'm going to be buying a projector. I have my eyes on a few mid-range models and I'll be buying in the next couple months.
My question is: how do I get cable onto the bad boy cheaply? I watch very little TV and the projector will be used mainly for DVD viewing and some light gaming from Xbox 360 and the computer, so I am not really concerned about quality (composite video is fine with me). It will probably never be used with digital cable, so I'm not looking for a digital box.

Can I just get an old cable box that has composite out? Do those exist, or is there anything else that ya'll know about that could make my life easier?

Thanks, and sorry again if this is in the wrong place.

If you're going to have a computer hooked up to it all the time, you might consider a Hauppauge WinTV Go. These can be had for like $40 or less, produce a nice picture, and would let you use your computer's DVI output for this application.

I agree, I went with a projector about a year ago and I love it. I decided to build an HTPC and that made the whole experience even better, sorta like finally reaching the future.
But if you don't want to mess with an HTPC I don't think you will have any problems hooking up with comp or S-Video. I bought an InFocus 4805 Screenplay and it has more than enough inputs on it.
good luck

yeah, just about every cable box has composite or svideo output. the PC tuner is a good idea too, but I would buck up and get a PVR-150 over the wintv. only about $10 more.

Just use a VCR, a decent Hi-Fi VCR is only $50-$60 at Wal-mart and would give you the ability to watch VHS Tapes as most of us still have some good ones lating around.

Or for $80 one of these which would give an S-Video Signal to veed the projector.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/JVC-...32414/catOid/-12880/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

For years I used my VCR as a tuner because my TV couldn't tune to all the channels on my cable system so I tuned with the VCR tuner, and it gave me stereo audio outputs to feed my stereo with.

SJetski71 said:
^^^

PVR 150

Or you can also use an old vcr's built-in tuner.
Wow, I'm dumb. I should have thought of the VCR! I have an old one (but nice one) that just has some problems playing tapes, and I saved it for the specific reason that it has a tuner in it. That's definitely what I am going to do.

I was toying with the idea of the TV tuner as well, but that would probably just be more of a hastle for me. I wouldn't want to use my desktop as an HTPC, but when I'm home in the summer I'll probably plug it into the MCE box with the PCR-500MCE that we have there.

Thanks for the help and comments guys, I appreciate it. In case anyone was wondering, right now I'm either getting the Panasonic AE700 or the Sanyo Z3 for the projector. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic because of it's greater brightness.

Well if it helps any, Sanyo, Eiki, Proxima, Infocus (and some others) are all the same.

weasel2htm said:
Well if it helps any, Sanyo, Eiki, Proxima, Infocus (and some others) are all the same.
Sanyo is the same as Infocus? :D

Pretty sure you can scratch sanyo off that list ;)

We got some Sanyo Projectors at work, they are identical to the Eikis.

I know that Sanyo=Eiki
and
Infocus=Proxima

But Proxima may not = Eiki
so that may be my weak link.

I think I am wrong, they definatly are different enough looking.

If you want to get a slick cablebox for the projector, get a Viewsonic Nextvision N6. These will also serve as a switch between PC and any other inputs.

killernoodle said:
If you want to get a slick cablebox for the projector, get a Viewsonic Nextvision N6. These will also serve as a switch between PC and any other inputs.
That does look hot, maybe some time in the future. For now, the projector's gonna suck up all my money, so I'll just stick to the VCR I have. :cool:

Back