Cable Question??

KoZLop

[H]ard|Gawd
I already have cable and we are getting another cable modem for my sister (long story) will the second cable modem have a diffrent ip addresses then mine?

Uh, I dont even think your cable company will let you get 2 cable modems, and if you did yes she would have a different ip address, I see no point in getting a seperate modem for each computer and would highly recomend you getting a router to split the connection.

Originally posted by KoZLop
I already have cable and we are getting another cable modem for my sister (long story) will the second cable modem have a diffrent ip addresses then mine?
as beachbum noted, it is a better idea to get a router and run cat5(e) cable wherever it's needed. if you can't run the cable yourself, you may need an electrician or someone else to run it for you but that's a one time cose. you would presumably have to pay double the monthly charge for a 2nd cable modem (or at least some insane rate). i originally thought that's how i would do it when i was going to get a cable modem. i knew nothing about networking until i got the modem. my router is among the best purchases i've ever made.

I know whats a router.... I was just woundering if i get 2 diffrent ips with 2 modems?

Look in the gallery for my network pic..

Whatever.... thanks :rolleyes:

Back