Cable running question...

Sparkyy

[H]ard|Gawd
Not sure how much grief I will get for asking this question but I am unable to run wires in the ceiling as it is a rental, so that makes walls out of the question as well. What I am wanting to do is run some CAT5e cables under our base board heating (link if you don't know what they are: http://www.radiantheat.net/equipment_hydronic_baseboard/).

Now my question, is this a feasible idea to run CAT5e under the heaters or would the output of heat during the winter ruin the cables? :confused: Maybe running the outdoor version of CAT5e might help? Any response would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advanced.:)

Yea, I bet the cable will be just fine. Simply make sure you're UNDER the heating elements (as you mentioned). Probably cable rated for outdoor use will also help but I'm sure the wire will be ok there.

It should be fine with regular cable, if the heat output isn't enough to cause other materials around the heater to spontaneously combust, regular CAT5 will be fine :)

I figured that since the paint on the walls that we used not that many months ago still looks good and not all bubbly or the fact that my girlfriend needs the a/c on even with it snowing outside. The CAT5e should be all right, but I figured I would ask before I lay it and come home one day during Christmas time and find out that I have melted plastic under my heater. :p

We've got baseboard / steam heat in sections of the old building where I work. I've run phone and network patch cables around, over and under it for many years... Never a problem. Worst that happens is that the cable discolors a bit after four or five years...

I would think it would be a good idea to run plenum cable in this case, just in case it does burn. Standard PVC cabling releases toxic gases when it burns.

It is true that PVC cable releases more smoke and hydrochloric acid when it burns... However we're talking a few cables? The amount of smoke released by those few cables is going to be nothing compared to the amount of smoke being released by the wall and carpet in such a situation! (If the cables are hot enough to burn, then no doubt the carpet they're laying on will be too.)

Generally, plenum cables only need to be installed in air return spaces, and sometimes in spaces where plastic innerducts are used... Some municipalities say that any permanent horizontal runs need to be plenum rated, and most agree that trunk (vertical) runs need to be plenum rated... However, this isn't a permanent installation. There are only rare cases that I'm aware of where patch cables (both panel and jack to PC) need to be plenum rated... I have vague recollections about some HIPPA requirement for plenum rated patch cables too, but it's been awhile...

Plenum rated cables do burn hotter than their PVC counterparts... This somewhat obvious fact (due to their required higher ignition temp) means that when they do burn, they have a greater chance of catching other stuff on fire too... Obviously if there's proper fire stops in place, it's not an issue, but it's a fun fact anyway... :)

To sum up, I wouldn't bother with plenum rated patch cables... My $.02

Back