Cable to the board too short! Bottom PSU owner please advise.

So last night I rip out my old board (ASUS m2n) and put in the new ASUS p8p67 Pro and mounted i7-2600K and the stock heat sink. Putting in the heat sink was a bitch btw. I couldn't get one of the mounts to go in easily. But anyways, after assembling the mobo, cpu/heatsink and memory I go and connect the power I realize the power (8 pin) cable from my Antec HE 550 Watt Modular Power Supply cable was like 3" or so too short to reach. My case is an Lian Li v1110 case with a bottom mounting PSU setup. I bet a lot of people who owner a Corsair Obsidian 800d would have a bottom mounting PSU. What PSU would have a long enough power cable to reach the top of the motherboard? Please advise. TIA.

Would this degrade power going to the board? If this works then this would be a very cheap alternative. I'm just worry the connection might be as good as the one that came with the psu.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think of it. I will give that a try instead of forking $$$ for a new PSU. I appreciate your fast response :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=nzxt_extension_cable-_-12-170-008-_-Product

I use one of these. Same cable, a bit nicer looking for around the same price.

More and more, the length of that cable is becoming a problem. Most PSU manufacturers still aren't preparing properly for cases that mount the PSU at the bottom. AFAIK, Corsair has started making their 8-pin 12v connectors longer, but I don't know if anyone else has.

So last night I rip out my old board (ASUS m2n) and put in the new ASUS p8p67 Pro and mounted i7-2600K and the stock heat sink. Putting in the heat sink was a bitch btw. I couldn't get one of the mounts to go in easily. But anyways, after assembling the mobo, cpu/heatsink and memory I go and connect the power I realize the power (8 pin) cable from my Antec HE 550 Watt Modular Power Supply cable was like 3" or so too short to reach. My case is an Lian Li v1110 case with a bottom mounting PSU setup. I bet a lot of people who owner a Corsair Obsidian 800d would have a bottom mounting PSU. What PSU would have a long enough power cable to reach the top of the motherboard? Please advise. TIA.

The Obsidian 800D ships with an extender cable. :) You can purchase extender cables from Directron or Newegg or TigerDirect and they're pretty cheap.

Oh that is nicer looking with the sleeving... it will go with my Antec HE 550's mesh sleeving.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=nzxt_extension_cable-_-12-170-008-_-Product

I use one of these. Same cable, a bit nicer looking for around the same price.

More and more, the length of that cable is becoming a problem. Most PSU manufacturers still aren't preparing properly for cases that mount the PSU at the bottom. AFAIK, Corsair has started making their 8-pin 12v connectors longer, but I don't know if anyone else has.

Back